Mars tonight through my 127 Mak

Yes - Mars is an awful lot smaller than those two gas giants. It's apparent size is less than 25% of Jupiters at the moment and, while it will get a little larger as it approaches opposition at the beginning of March, it will still only get to around 33% of the diameter of Jupiter's disk.

There are better oppositions of Mars in other years but this year is not one of them.

Mars improves greatly when it gets closer to Earth, thereby becoming a bigger disc. Still quite far away and small at the moment.

A lovely sight when it's close. It'll never get to Saturn or Jupe size though!

Andy.

its still small at the min in march it should be more better to view,but,not last night my mate Clive (telesto sgl) was looking for some thing else with is 200p truss tube and we got a great view of mars around 12:30 at night,you could see the polar cap and a dark feature underneath it and below that was a dark L shape feature we even got video of it with a flashed 880 web cam the 200p was auto track on a dob base worked a treat

Hey Ken. Noticed in your signature that you have some Hyperion eyepieces and 127 MAK. Was considering the hyperions as an upgrade in my 127. I have done some research on SGL and the reports are favourable, but are they any good in your MAK?????

I take some of my comments back...went back out, Mars was higher and my Mak cooler and I saw the slightly bulging white cap! and some shadowy detail :)

That's great. Well done! The easiest shadowy detail last night would likely have been the collar of material that runs around the top of the cap.

2003 was the best I can recall - Mars apparent size was twice as large as it will appear at it's best this time around - I could see clear surface details in my 60mm refractor back then :D

Still, that's the way the Universe works - it does not exist for our convenience :)

Hey Ken. Noticed in your signature that you have some Hyperion eyepieces and 127 MAK. Was considering the hyperions as an upgrade in my 127. I have done some research on SGL and the reports are favourable, but are they any good in your MAK?????

The hyperions are very good but to be honest Ive had more use out of my binoviewers, fantastic on the Mak 127 :)

Archived