Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus - 13 January 2012

DarkerSky

Got a look at Venus this afternoon in the southwest sky. Just managed to get a view of it over next door's fence and between a gap in the houses. Seeing was predictably poor, that said I got a decent look at the phase (80% illuminated) and with my red filter in place I could make out some brighter and shaded areas. The shading was really difficult to pin down, but I did my best in this sketch...

12" x150 magnification

16.25UT to 16.55UT

Venus-Jan13.png

I know what you mean David. Venus is difficult in a scope, especially at the mo being so small. By March through April it'll get bigger and should be easier to spot cloud detail. Having a wratten #25 really helps with contrast. Makes it much easier to spot brighter areas for sure.

Which filter is this youre talking about (Brand)?

Would most other red filters work as well? Such as Celestron, meade, or Baader?

Hi Alex. This is a red filter by Kodak. They use the wratten numbers to identify filter colors / type. Wratten numbers became a sort of standard for filter ids, so I guess other manufacturers could follow this standard as well? Not sure on that, but probably worth googling.

Next time I get my scope onto Venus I'm going to try the Baader Neodymium filter I have. This does an excellent job on Jupiter for boosting low contrast features, so it could very well work too with venus

Archived