Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wedge recommendations for a CPC 800

Hi All,

Could someone recommend a nice wedge for a Celestron CPC 800 please? I would like something that's study enough to do a good job and be easy to align but don't have unlimited funds. I'm open to all suggestions no matter what the price tag, I'll just then pick the best recommended product which comes in the price range the Boss let's me spend (she hasn't actually put a limit yet so I remain ever hopeful).

I've read in various places that the Celestron HD Wedge isn't worth the money and as this is the place to come to get people to spend my money for me, fire away.

Many thanks, ElijahB

I`m "borrowing" MartinB's Celestron HD wedge plus adjuster kit with an eye to purchasing it. All the other wedges seem frighteningly expensive (APT/Milburn/etc - 400-500 quid!). I know they will be well built, well designed, solid bits of kit... but 400-500 quid is an awful lot.

I know the Celestron wedge can have its base plate unscrewed from the side plates and moved along one set of holes to make it more stable/solid (not advised for the NS11!!!). I will be trying that just as soon as I have had an evening or two learning how to polar align, getting my head around WCS, doing the PEC setup, and trying longer exposures on some of my favourite targets.

I know the Celestron wedge can have its base plate unscrewed from the side plates and moved along one set of holes to make it more stable/solid

Already set up like this on mine Steve.

The Celestron HD wedge is stiff enough for an 8" CPC. The problem is getting a good polar alignment. As sold the HD wedge is practically useless because it doesnt have any way of providing the fine adjustment needed for accurate drift alignment. Celestron then charge £100 for the upgrade kit which shows unbelievable contempt for the consumer. The total package for a useable wedge is around £335. This is not good value for money and Celestron should be ashamed of themselves.

With the upgrade kit the wedge is workable but the azimuth adjuster is flimsy and badly designed - unless I put it together wrong. You can drift align with it though.

Don't buy a new Celestron wedge!!! The quality wedges such as Milburn, APT and Mitty are in a different class and if you can find one second hand go for it - they do pop up from time to time and that's how I got my APT. A second hand Celestron is also a worthwhile but don't consider paying more than £200. £150 is more realistic.

Archived