Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Trapezium in 10-second subs

lukebl

Hi all,

Inspired by Luis Campos's amazing images taken with his DMK21 in short exposures (see here), I though I'd have a go at the Trapezium myself and see what was possible with just 10-second subs.

Here's the result. I know the colour is a bit odd, but it looks interesting all the same and it is amazing how much detail is possible to squeeze out of just 10-second exposures. It's made up from 60 subs each of R, G & B, SXVF-H9, SW 250 f/4.8 Newt. It would be interesting to see the result with 10 times the number of subs. Who needs guiding!

post-16549-133877716183_thumb.jpg

how did you combine them? Did you use drizzle?

I stacked the R, G, & B subs separately in DSS, with 3x drizzle, then combined the channels in Photoshop. Just couldn't get the colour right, though.

It wasn't really intended as a serious image. I just wanted to see what was possible with 10-second subs, just 10 minutes total for each channel. It was also nice to resolve the Trapezium, which usually gets burnt out by longer exposures.

Hi there Luke,

Really glad I inspired you to try that he he he

That's a really good result, the trapezium is nicelly resolved with pin point stars :icon_scratch:

You should try other types of small deep sky gems like the Esquimo, blinking, cat's eye, etc...

I'll be making more experiences in a near future, when the sky clears up here in Portugal that is...:D

Cheers,

Luís

Archived