which cam on a £250 quid budget?

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a video cam to connect to laptop USB for my EQ6 C9.25, any good suggestions for a budget of max £250 ?

for general use... moon, planets, deep sky.

Thanks.

One of the Astronomiser cams would sound the best bet new. Secondhand there's a DSI Pro II and Atik 2HS on Ebay right now, both should finish within budget. Or on US Ebay you can pick up one of the Orion USA Starshoot deepsky cameras for £150 delivered. Unlike the others mentioned it has a larger chip (Sony Exview HAD CCD), TEC cooling and USB 2.0 High Speed. It's a far neater camera with only one cable (USB 2.0), no parallel or serial long exposure control cable needed.

Russ

I mean digital that records video as avi's etc.

In which case, you are probably looking at something like a second-hand Mintron 12V-EX, or better still, a Watec 120.

Another option, would be a web-cam, modified to SC2, or even SC3 spec.

On the other hand, is really essential that you capture your images as avi's. If not then a DSI might be a better option.

Dave

cheers, won the bid for the new Meade DSI II one-shot color camera... can't wait to get it now.

I was watching that one myself but then won the Orion Star Shoot camera. You made quite a saving on the new price. :police:

I think you'll be very happy with the DSI II. Should be a nice camera with USB 2.0 and a 1/2" chip. There's now a Peltier cooling addon available for the DSI should you find the need for extra cooling.

Regards

Russ

Archived