Reticule in polarscope

Hi guys, Just b4 it got dark i tried to centalise the polarscope on my eq3-2 ready to hopefully polar-align later on & ive noticed that the nice little pics on the lens are possible about 90 degrees clockwise of where they should be. Is this normal? Or when i polar-align do i need to turn the R&A axis until they line up? :icon_scratch:

Thanks in advance

Ady

well ive just been on another site & they sat you can release the grub screws remove lens from front & the reticule comes out, but be careful when u put it back not to get grease on reticul...

It doesn't matter where the engravings on the reticule are because to polar align you have to rotate the RA axis anyway so don't waste your time trying to rotate the reticule itself!

What you DO need to do is make sure that the centre cross of the reticule is centred in the polarscope tube - i.e., if you aim at a distant object and centre the crosshair on the object and then rotate the RA axis, the cross should remain centred on the object - if it moves off centre at all, you will need to adjust it using those grub-screws until rotating the RA axis has no effect on the pointing of the crosshair.

Well unfortunately for me i think i need to remove the reticule from the polarscope, its so far out i cant get pole star into the corrct position to align correctly. "******"

Also bear in mind what kind of scope the polarscope is.

The constellations *are* correct, just rotate the RA until the little circle for Polaris is at the correct clock position. Lock off RA then adjust azimuth and altitude knobs to centre Polaris in the little circle.

Unlock RA and check when you rotate that the star follows the bigger circle. Easy.

P.s. Don't expect the constellations stars to be visible in the polarscope, they are just there for guidance.

Cheers

Ian

Archived