Question?

So I just went out and adjusted my laser finder while still light, I had noticed that jupiter was visible so I thought "Why not have a look?" :icon_scratch:

I had a really good view of it and was very impressed.

The question is......I saw 3 moons to the left of jupiter and 1 to the right. On stellarium its opposite?? why? Is my telescope not working correctly?

Pretty much any astronomical telescope will do what you describe. A Newtwonian reflector, or a refractor or SCT/Mak used "straight through", will show an image that's rotated 180 degrees from reality. A refractor, SCT, or Mak used with a star diagonal will show an image that's mirrored, left-right normally.

Pretty much any astronomical telescope will do what you describe. A Newtwonian reflector, or a refractor or SCT/Mak used "straight through", will show an image that's rotated 180 degrees from reality. A refractor, SCT, or Mak used with a star diagonal will show an image that's mirrored, left-right normally.

using a skywatcher explorer 130. looked at a chimney and it was upside down?

When you were looking at the chimney is your eye piece in line with the scope or do you have a 90 degree angle piece in between the eye piece and the scope?

it goes straight in the side of the scope i guess, no angle piece i can see

When I first posted I didn't realise that you were refering to a reflector.

With my refractor if I put an eyepiece straight in line with the scope the image is upside down, if I put a 90 degree piece with a 45 degree mirror in-between the scope and eyepiece the image is then upright but flipped left to right, if I remove all of that and attach my camera then everything is the right way up and correct left to right. It's to do with the mirrors, the image gets altered each time it hits a mirror. It confused me a bit to start with but by trying different combinations of things it became clearer.

Have fun :icon_scratch:

When I first posted I didn't realise that you were refering to a reflector.

With my refractor if I put an eyepiece straight in line with the scope the image is upside down, if I put a 90 degree piece with a 45 degree mirror in-between the scope and eyepiece the image is then upright but flipped left to right, if I remove all of that and attach my camera then everything is the right way up and correct left to right. It's to do with the mirrors, the image gets altered each time it hits a mirror. It confused me a bit to start with but by trying different combinations of things it became clearer.

Have fun :icon_scratch:

No probs, thanks for your input :D

Archived