Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

433 Eros. Anyone?

Spica

Curious if anyone here bagged asteroid 433 Eros yet? We're supposed to get descent weather over in my part of Europe saturday morning, at mag 8.6 it shouldn't be much of a challange with my 5".

You all know about www.astronomycast.com I suppose? Half hour duration mp3-podcasts, free for download. Show #55 from 2007 deals with Asteroids.

I tried with my binocular this morning, but the moon was interfering too much. I like to keep an eye on www.heavens-above.com and try to do the asteroids when they are easy (very near or near for instance a brighter star or in some pattern of stars - which will make the movement easier to spot as well).

Comets are much easier, I find, with their trail/coma and all. Astroids can be tricky objects to find without good finder charts when you just do visual observing!

I tried with my binocular this morning, but the moon was interfering too much. I like to keep an eye on www.heavens-above.com and try to do the asteroids when they are easy (very near or near for instance a brighter star or in some pattern of stars - which will make the movement easier to spot as well).

Comets are much easier, I find, with their trail/coma and all. Astroids can be tricky objects to find without good finder charts when you just do visual observing!

Thanks, that's a useful link. I do have CdC but the link is an easier "at-a-glance" review of what's on.

Only problem with my CdC is that it does not have 2 - Pallas as a listed Asteroid. Is there something irregular about it?

Only problem with my CdC is that it does not have 2 - Pallas as a listed Asteroid. Is there something irregular about it?

I think there is a problem with the CdC database, in that Pallas doesn't seem to have a magnitude, so won't appear even though it knows where it is. I just had a go and it found its location using the search function, although the little dot showing where it should be was missing. Just go to Search, then click the 'asteroid' button, then type in 'Pallas' and 'Filter' and it will come up. Then click 'Find'. It's close to Venus right now

I've just noticed 12 - Victoria is very favourably placed, v near the point of the V in the Hyades.

True it is at mag. 11.4 but it makes a flat rhombus with Gamma Tauri, HD 285750 and HD 285691 at mag. 3.6, 8.9 and 9.5 respectively.

That's a gimme for summat so faint if ever there was one.

Back off out to have a go!

I've just noticed 12 - Victoria is very favourably placed, v near the point of the V in the Hyades.

True it is at mag. 11.4 but it makes a flat rhombus with Gamma Tauri, HD 285750 and HD 285691 at mag. 3.6, 8.9 and 9.5 respectively.

That's a gimme for summat so faint if ever there was one.

Back off out to have a go!

What a coincidence! Just hop along to here: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-widefield-special-events-comets/170602-hyades-wide-field-couple-asteroids.html#post2101834to see an image I've just done of Victoria.

Very nice Luke! Great photos! 12-Victoria @ 11.4 is a bit too faint for me here within the village but one's flexible and willing to get out'a town so I might give it a go soon.

Found 39-Laetitia last night though, great little clump, and she shed her first lights on me at 20.41UT as the icecold NW'ly wind chilled me to the bone. Brrrrr..... that 10th magnitude dim peck of light warmed me up though!

I poked my head out bright and early this morning to see if 433 Eros was there, but the moon is still cruel... A few more days!

Know about it, addicted to it! :)

Easy thing to be :-) Plowing through a couple of shows per day myself going to and from work. Excellent past time when driving or doing nothing on the bus....

Archived