Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Second DSO M42

Pete D

This is my second DSO, M42. Only had time for 12, 30 sec subs before the clouds rolled in. They were took with JPEG before I realised I hadn't set the camera to the raw setting. Not as good as some of the pictures on here but I still learning.

Pete, thank heaven it's not a competition! That is a great shot! I had a look and before I saw your sig I gathered it was done with something largish on a solid mount and it sure was!

The focus seems spot on to me, star shapes promising so well done indeed.

I think it's one to go back to and get more data, whilst keeping this for the area around the core. I am a beginner myself so still trying to figure this game out...

With this framing you'll just miss the running man but it looks pretty well lined up for a second mosaic shot :-)

All the best

Great Shot try longer exposure times, darks, flats and bias offsets as well. You can never tire of this wonderful subject and it great to go back to it again and again I know I still have much much more to get out of this one. That is the great thing about this you can keep going back and improve each time you do.

Re-reading I suddenly realize that:

Pete, thank heaven it's not a competition!

in response to:

Not as good as some of the pictures on here but I still learning.

can be misunderstood. I mean it as a very general statement about this hobby and SGL; that we help eachother out and aren't competing in any way.

Just want to clarify that. The sentence seemed a bit odd to me at a second look.

Cheers

That's a very good initial shot (and something to be proud of!). As you look to master this one you'll need to learn a few techniques to control the core and not have it too burnt out.

You do have a slight coma/field rotation? but a very good first go!

Archived