First scope

It's been asked a million times and I certainly won't be the last :icon_scratch:

I've been thinking about getting my first scope, nothing serious at the moment so something cheap and cheerful to get me started. Storage space is likely to be an issue (my orders from SWMBO) as well.

I've done some research online so far and saw the Skywatcher heritage 130p (£135 - FLO, £144 - SnS) which looks like it could fit the bill being reasonably cheap and compact

Any advice / other recommendations?

What could I realistically expect to see?

cheers

The 102GT seems to be a 102 f9.8 Achromat on what is probably a predecessor of the SLT mount. It should be ok, but given a choice I will go for Heritage 130p dob. The larger aperture will let you see dimmer objects and the dob mount has less to go wrong.

The Heritage 130p is the cheapest scope that I will recommend, below that I'd suggest binoculars.

There are really only two Celestron Astromaster 130. One has an MD suffix which means it includes a Motor drive to help with tracking stars.

It is a great choice as a first scope but with hindsight a book I am ready suggest you choose at least a 150mm scope to start as this will see you further should you get very involved!

Freelander86

Archived