Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

c910 Initial Thoughts and Problem

P.Johnston

New here--I am thrilled to find this website and these forums!

I've been looking up and doing astrophotography for about 25 years (I started young).

I got a good (good!) Logitech C910; it is a very nice product and much, much smaller than it looks online. It is TINY!

It does feature a 5MP native CMOS sensor. It produces very, very nice images and video (as a regular webcam).

I've tested the view through an eyepiece, prime focus, t-mount, and the full tube that I once used with 35mm film (Nikon SLR). It seems the only decent view is through the eyepiece.

Does modding webcams change the focus? In other words, if I strip down this C910, will I be able to use it with a t-mount?

Although I am somewhat a veteran hobbyist when it comes to astronomy and astrophotography, I am very, very green (novice) in the realm of webcam astronomy.

Thank you for welcoming me to the forums and thank you very much for any thoughts regarding the C910.

By the way, I'm using a very clean Bausch and Lomb 4000 (4" SCT). Original owner of the scope and it produces very good planetary images.

Thank you,

Paul

Hi,

first step - crack open the case and have a look! Haven't found any guides for this cam. Also don't know what its sensitivity or noise is like, but that shouldn't matter too much if you are going for planetary shots. all you need to do is remove open it up, remove the factory lens and find a a way to attach a 1.25" adapter. Most adapters are made to fit Philips SPC type lens threads, so probably won't fit this. You may have to make your own adapter with some 1.25" tube (I find that some old hoover tubes are this size). The important thing is the adapter has to be perfectly concentric and square to the sensor or you won't get proper focus.

Good luck - post some pics.

Theo

• 1 month later...

Archived