Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Field stop ID for Vixen LV 30mm?

RikM

Does anyone know what the field stop diameter is for the big black and red Vixen LV 30mm 60° aFOV 2" eyepiece?

To measure it do I just turn it upside down and stick a vernier calliper in there or is it a bit more 'delicate' than that?

It depends on the eyepiece design Rik. Some have their field stops and focal points below the lowest field lens (and accessible for mearurement) but increasingly these days manufacturers are using a 2nd lens group in the eyepiece barrel with the field stop within the main body of the eyepiece and harder of course to get at without disassembly.

I seem to recall a figure of 34mm as the field stop diameter for a 30mm Vixen NLV - is that the same eyepiece as the LV ?.

Thanks John. It is a very different eyepiece to the NLV and looks a lot more like the LVW.

The fieldstop ring is nicely placed, just too far up inside the barrel to measure easily. I resorted to cutting a strip of paper and poking it (carefully) up inside the barrel and comparing to the FS ring, then trimming it until it matched. I measured 32mm, which is close enough for me. :(

Archived