Doing a 3 star align.

Just a quick question about doing a star alignment of any kind:

Why is it important to center the stars being used to align the scope, in the RDF rather then in the main scope?. I know you align them in the main scope after you align each in the RDF first.

Is it simply a case to make sure that the RDF is aligned with the scope itself?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Hi Paul

no, my thought would be that the RDF should be aligned with the scope in the first place anyway prior to beginning the telescope alignment procedure.

during the alignment process looking for the object in the RDF first gives an indication on a wider field of view as to whether the object is in the field of view and is therefore easier to move into view if it is out.

as i think you are aware it is best to keep both eyes open that way you will see the object in the RDF and in the sky and if out when moving to the object they will come together this does take some getting used to though but once you get it it is a great help

Of course. Silly me. It makes perfect sense to put the red dot right on the stars to be used for alignment, then you know it will be in the center (or close to) in the main scope.

By not using the RDF to pinpoint the stars to be used i guess the main scope gets confused and doesnt know which star in the FOV that you are trying to lock onto.

I didnt have my RDF on the scope last night/ early morning so i was just putting any 3 bright stars (one at a time) into the center of FOV in the scope and aligning that way but the scope wasn't having any of it.

I just got a PM saying its best to use 3 stars from the Go-To's memory/database rather then picking 3 random stars. That makes even more sense now.

Anyways............my question was about the RDF, which has been answered now...............but i have learned something else.

Thanks folks.

Archived