Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

St-80 vs evostar 80 vs Celestron C90 Mak

Just wondered if I could get some of your expert views on this please :(

I bought a celestron slt goto mount as a grab and go and I'm looking at beefing it up a little from the 60mm refractor that came with it. Not wanting to break the bank as it's just for nipping out to the peak district every now and then.

What would you recommend I go for? Advantages and disadvantages of them?

Thanks

Dave

Dave I used to use my NexStar SLT with an ST80 clone. It's much shorter, but heavier than the 60mm that came with the mount. I have mounted an 80ED on it, but to be honest, I found it a bit too heavy for comfortable operation of the mount. Personally I wouldn't go beyond the ST80. Make sure you get it with a medium length dovetail bar though, that will allow you to balance the scope out better. I don't know the little Mak, but... it might be a good option. A lot will depend on what you are wanting to view.

That's great thanks. It's a good little mount for throwing in the back of the car isn't it. I'll defo stick to the lower end of the weight limit then if it struggles with heavier stuff.

Still not sure if I should go with the c90 or the st-80. I've not had any experience with the maksutov design. What are they best for viewing?

Cheers

Dave

Maks have long focal lengths so good for the moon and planets, they also don't suffer ca unlike the st80. But they tend to be heavier, not really a fair comparison burnt 102 is much heavier than my st80 clone...

It's a very good little grab and go mount.

Think I have made a decision... the slt book says it has a max weight of 5kg and the Evostar 102 weighs 3.48 Kgs. Just cant seem to find it available as the OTA alone. I've seen the Evostar 120 for £240 so im guessing it will be quite a bit cheaper if I ever find it... been searching for about 2 hours :( might have to give FLO a call

Bought the C90 and SynScan under the Konus banner. The mount is now on a S'n'S Astroboot Vixen alloy 5 style tripod and it seems to wave both an ST80 and a Heritage 130 around as well as the original Mak. Powered by Maplins finest 3 in 1 Jump starter.

Don't ask how long it will last as don't know but did tighten up the Alt and Az "clutches".

Good luck with whatever you do.

Archived