The moon for the first time

Well it was beautifull for me to see the moon in my telescope for the first time, I was so excited :) the telescope was shaky and kept having to find it again though I had seen lots of photo's it was thrilling to see through the lens close up!

Is the telescope shaking or is the moon moving sorry if that seems a silly question:rolleyes:

Thanks

was shaky and kept having to find it again though I had seen lots of photo's it was thrilling to see through the lens close up!

Is the telescope shaking or is the moon moving sorry if that seems a silly question:rolleyes:

Probably the telescope. What mount have you got, and what eyepiece were you using?

Clear Skies,

Luke

zennox 700x 76 1.5x and either h20 or h8 lens, sorry can't remember which one as put away. I believe it's a beginners telescope but even though it was screwed tight kept having to move it, would it be possible to see quite far out with this?

i must admit at first the moon was a pain in the butt, lighting up the sky. it didnt interest me much. but im begining to look at it more and more.

i think observing the lunar 100 ? ( is it 100 ) might be a nice sideline when the moons washi ng out those dso's .

Almost for sure the shaking was the telescope. The moon motion (actually us) makes it cross it's own width in about 2mins. At 50x this is quite noticeable but steady. Any mount will shake some after re-pointing. It should damp out but a gust of wind or your coat will get it going again.

I have a new Skywatcher 130 Goto and LOVE the views!!!

HOWEVER... I've also noticed how much everything 'wobbles' about.

I've tried keeping clear of touching the tripod etc, but the moon still does the shimmy when I'm viewing it. My tripod and Goto mount seem pretty hefty to me, so maybe its also partly atmospherics etc but it doesn't put me off.

Before I began this telecope malarky a few days ago, I was only really interested in DSO such as nebulae, galaxies etc, but after seeing the moon at 10x plus 2X Barlow on a clear night, I'm smitten!

It's hard to get your head round the fact that this 'planet' (moon) is so flippin' close!!!

It makes me wish I'd been born a 100 years or so later, when trips to the moon might well be commonplace!

Just imagine, standing on another planet!!!

AWESOME!

I've just started in on owning a telescope, but I can't wait for the next clear night.

Roy.

I have a new Skywatcher 130 Goto and LOVE the views!!!

HOWEVER... I've also noticed how much everything 'wobbles' about.

I've tried keeping clear of touching the tripod etc, but the moon still does the shimmy when I'm viewing it. My tripod and Goto mount seem pretty hefty to me, so maybe its also partly atmospherics etc but it doesn't put me off.

Before I began this telecope malarky a few days ago, I was only really interested in DSO such as nebulae, galaxies etc, but after seeing the moon at 10x plus 2X Barlow on a clear night, I'm smitten!

It's hard to get your head round the fact that this 'planet' (moon) is so flippin' close!!!

It makes me wish I'd been born a 100 years or so later, when trips to the moon might well be commonplace!

Just imagine, standing on another planet!!!

AWESOME!

I've just started in on owning a telescope, but I can't wait for the next clear night.

Roy.

Must admit I like my feet on this floor and as I get older hate flying more, like the clip saying 40 hours to travel the circumference of planet earth and 6 month round the sun by jet or bullet :)

I will have a go when I know where to look, but the kids had a thrill to see it, would be great if I can with my telescope will start with the moon for now!

As the sun goes down Venus in in the South West well above the horizon, Jupiter higher than Venus and in the South East, a bit to the right of the Moon, easy to spot as the sun goes down there the only bright lights in the sky.

I've realised that the universe is awesome.

This has been reinforced 100x fold just by seeing things through a telescope for the first time.

People don't need to be interested in astronomy to be utterly humbled by a first view of something like Jupiter or even the moon through a basic telescope.

Roy.

Archived