NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Reflections on 2011: logging makes you look for more.

I have just looked at the list of DSO observations and was struck by the fact that since I (re)started logging in 2010, my observing habits have changed completely. Rather than spending time revisiting old stuff, I have started looking for new objects, and have found that far more can be seen even from imperfect skies than I ever thought. I often persue the pages of Sky Atlas 2000.0 and ask myself whether I should have a look at some object. More often than not, it turns out I can.

I logged no fewer than 311 DSO catalogue entries last year, not counting a few doubles (Albireo and Almach). Some are compound objects, with multiple entries (Veil, Pelican). Quite a few are objects I have definitely seen before, but somehow never logged. The vast majority are new, however. Some statistics on the distribution over object types:

129 galaxies

100 open clusters

31 globular clusters

20 planetary nebulae

10 emission nebulae

5 supernova remnants (all components of the Veil)

4 emission nebulae/open cluster

3 supernovae

3 reflection nebulae

3 dark nebulae

1 asterism (M73)

1 double (M40)

1 emission/reflection nebula with open cluster (Trifid)

These were logged in a total of 55 sessions (not counting session with no new objects, and lunar and planetary sessions), averaging 5.65 new items per session (some session had just one new object, others up to 30). It also means I went observing once a week on average, though the spread is erratic to say the least. February saw just as single session, for example.

In the case of galaxies, hunting them in Coma/Virgo is like shooting fish in a barrel. I had up to eight objects in one FOV. My trip to Australia helped a lot too, bagging me a string of DSOs not easily seen from here, even though I only had my 15x70 bins to work with. I got many of the southern Caldwell objects and a string of Messiers from there.

I really believe logging objects makes all the difference. It gives you a sense of purpose to hunt for new stuff. Reading other people's reports on SGL also helps a great deal. I have got many good tips on interesting objects to see right here. Thanks to everybody for sharing their experiences!

Happy New year and clear skies in 2012!

Completely agree with you on both counts. My observation logging has become more structured ovver the last 3 years and this is driving me to look for new objects rather than revisit objects I have observed before. I also very much enjoy reading other peoples reports as this gives me an idea of whether I might be able to observe the object.

I did more observing in the last 4 months of 2011 (since joining SGL) than I did in the whole first half of the year!

Ditto David.

I started logging sessions properly after joining SGL at the beginning of October. I now plan my sessions properly and have detailed CdC prints to hand when I observe.

I also write up every prolonged observing session on this forum, in case it is any use to other more inexperienced observers.

Thanks Michael for highlighting the Herschel list which I hadn't heard of until joining here. So long as 2012 is reasonable, I should make some serious in-roads into both Caldwell and Herschel (subject to limiting aperture).

Here's to a clear year!

Ditto David.

I started logging sessions properly after joining SGL at the beginning of October. I now plan my sessions properly and have detailed CdC prints to hand when I observe.

I also write up every prolonged observing session on this forum, in case it is any use to other more inexperienced observers.

Thanks Michael for highlighting the Herschel list which I hadn't heard of until joining here. So long as 2012 is reasonable, I should make some serious in-roads into both Caldwell and Herschel (subject to limiting aperture).

Here's to a clear year!

Thanks for that DKD.

It's not just the less experienced observers that benefit from your reports, I get many ideas for observing from others, experienced or not.

Cheers

Michael

That's a super haul of objects Michael. I too log everything I see. I also log what I attempt to see but fail on.

I tried a visual on the flame nebula the other evening. Got the right spot but came away with an inconclusive result. I felt my evening wasn't wasted though as I still made an entry in my log of the experience and observing conditions :)

If anything, logging my failures helps give me ideas on how to approach the object again in the future from a darker sky or in better observing conditions using different eyepiece / filter combinations.

That's a super haul of objects Michael. I too log everything I see. I also log what I attempt to see but fail on.

I tried a visual on the flame nebula the other evening. Got the right spot but came away with an inconclusive result. I felt my evening wasn't wasted though as I still made an entry in my log of the experience and observing conditions :)

If anything, logging my failures helps give me ideas on how to approach the object again in the future from a darker sky or in better observing conditions using different eyepiece / filter combinations.

Thanks for that. It was a huge haul, more than all objects logged in all the years before put together. However, I did see many of them the years before, I just did not bother to log them. Still, the majority was certainly new to me. I do not expect to log as many new objects this year.

I also notice you really learn more about finding your way around the sky, even from inconclusive, failed (or just futile ;)) hunts. Next time round, when conditions are better, you find things much faster.

One big factor has been the 16x70 finder I built myself at the end of 2010. That makes life so much easier. So many times I have aimed the finder at exactly the right spot, to find the object I wanted slap in the middle of the scope's FOV. In Virgo, I could frequently spot the galaxies in the finder. Try that with the stock 6x30 finder.

I have actually had a similar effect on Lunar 100 features, all of which were first logged this year. I know my way around Luna much better now.

Archived