Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Moon in the daytime

malc-c

I've not used my 127Mak much since I purchased it back in the summer of last year (seems funny saying that :) ) - so today I was experimenting with hooking up the Canon 400d and pointing it at the half Moon that was visible this afternoon. Here's the results, rotated, cropped and re-sized for the forum

Looks like the 127Mak will be an excellent grab and go on the EQ5, but I'm concerned about the small dark rings on the image, which aren't on similar images taken with the same camera through the 200P. The corrector plate looks fine, so if its dust then it must be on the mirror / optics in the scope ;)

post-23388-133877711922_thumb.jpg

It looks like dust bunnies on the sensor to me. Put a standard lens on the camera, set to AV and f22 or smaller and then shoot an out of focus image of clear sky or a white wall. If you stretch the image the bunnies should show up

Interestingly, the Canon camera has one of those sensor cleaners, and originally also had a clip filter fitted, so don't think its the sensor. Looking at the scope, face on it does seem as if there is dust inside the OTA.... whilst I'm confident about stripping a Newt down and re-assembly, a MAK is another thing entirely

Interestingly, the Canon camera has one of those sensor cleaners, and originally also had a clip filter fitted, so don't think its the sensor. Looking at the scope, face on it does seem as if there is dust inside the OTA.... whilst I'm confident about stripping a Newt down and re-assembly, a MAK is another thing entirely
The ultrasonic sensor cleaner on the Canons is ok but is nowhere near foolproof. Because the marks are fairly well defined I would still suspect the sensor or at a push on a clip in filter. Any further up the optical train would be completely out of focus

I agree with Kev... they are dust on the sensor. This is exactly the effect I got with my Mak and my 450d (which I do my best to keep really clean, not that it's possible). Clone stamp will sort out those dust donuts easily.

Nice job on the daylight moon.

Make sure the camera battery is fully charged. The mirror only stays out of the way whilst the camera has power, and you really don't want it dropping down on any cleaning tools.

Mount the camera on a tripod, lens pointing downwards. Remove the lens. Power up the camera and activate the manual cleaning function. After puffing air a few times first, outside the camear, use a rocket blower to give the sensor a good blast (make sure it's not a can of compressed air etc). Keep the end of the spout clear of the sensor.

Turn off the camera, and test, as described above.

If the dust is still problematic, then invest in a proper sensor cleaning kit, I used a wet clean kit, it's scary, but easy.

Just Ltd - Sensor Cleaning

Make sure you get the correct size pads and the correct solution cleaning fluid for the camera.

Also remember that the image is rotated with respect to the sensor..

So if theres a dust spot in the top left of the image the dust is in the bottom right of the sensor...

I normally use the same method as Kev... Rocket blower followef by PEC pads and eclipse fluid...

I also have the sensorklene system small triangular shaped lens pen type pads and the Digital Duster mini vac...

Peter...

Archived