Does anybody have experience with Megastar 1550?

Hello :p.

In my first post I wrote that I brought the Skywatcher Flextube 130P and I did, but I had to return it again. Mainly for the lack of tripod so I had to bent down to look into it, which made my back hurt and then because it couldn't support it's own weight so it started to slowly shift downwards.

So I were looking for alternatives and I came up with the Megastar 1550: Newton 150/1400mm auf EQ3-1 mit Stat. Einsteigerteleskop- ab 10 (You can choose English language at the top)

The price is very reasonable, almost too reasonable but the pictures do indeed look very promising.

Is it any good as a beginner telescope?

I don't think it's a well known make and few folks will have any experience of it. The advert is a little suspicious (imho) in that it claims to "open the gateway to observing stuff" and "has a solid mount". The mount is very basic and the tripod is lightweight - I think you'd get a lot of vibration on it. It claims the focuser is "particularly important for a telescope" - that's like saying a steering wheel is important for a car - pretty obvious really and not a special feature. It doesn't look like fl=1400 either.

Overstated claims often suggest poor quality - good scopes just aren't described in that way. I reckon you'd be better spending a little more on something like this:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 / EQ3 PRO GOTO

This is a proven model and a reliable make, and a very popular starter scope which won't disappoint. Hope that helps :p

Thats a decent scope but the Skywatcher 150P (non-GOTO) is around the same price, at least it is here:

First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 / EQ3 PRO GOTO

I did happen to find a local guy who sells a Skywatcher 150P used, but he only has a EQ2 mount. Since I'm not sure what the difference are or if I can even mount it on the EQ2, is it a good buy?

He didn't set a price so he wants me to make a bid, what would be a good offer? They seem in perfect condition :p

Okay.

I think I'll go for the 150P:

Skywatcher Explorer 150P - 150/750mm Newton Teleskop - NEQ3

And a 2xBarlow since it already comes with 25mm and 10mm eyepieces.

Are they decent if I want to watch galaxies and nebulas and what can I expect to see?

I'm especially interested in seeing whirlpool galaxies.

The total will be around £319 including shipping, but I'll write First Light Optics to hear their price because I live in Denmark :).

Archived