I just can't seem to see thing clearly...

So, I bought my first telescope just this weekend. The first lesson I learned as a new stargazer......buy from a dealer. That being said, my telescope was in pieces. The primary and secondary mirrors where not in the telescope!!!! On the plus side, the mirrors where not damaged, clean and dust free and sealed in a separate container. It took me awhile to figure it out, but I found a PDF from Celestron and followed it, to the letter, to adjust the mirrors. After I thought I was done, I popped in my x20 eye piece and got an amazing view of the moon. Then I tried the x4 and focused a little more and again, I got another breathtaking view. I then tried to use my x3 Barlow lens on some of the far out objects with a x20 eye piece but when I went to focus, the barrel was a far in as it could go in. So, I researched a little more, and I read that if the barrel was all the way in, then I should try to bring the primary mirror in closer. I did that and the focus got better but still it was too blurry. This is where I am at right now. I cannot find anything else to help. From what I can figure is that since the secondary mirror was removed too, it too, my need to be moved. I JUST DON'T KNOW WHICH WAY TO GO. It was a headache doing the primary, but I got that part down. I would hate to start working with the secondary without knowing should the mirror go more in or more out. Can someone please help this long winded Stargazer Equipment: Celestron Atromaster 76 Thank you very much ahead of time.

Hi Manchild,

Once the primary and secondary have been set they should not be moved other than for collimation.

If you can get some sharp images then the scope is basically fine, it is just that the combination of Barlow and eyepieces used is not bringing the light to a focus and therefore it appears blurred.

You should not be moving the mirrors to obtain focus.

Simon

Your telescope has an f ratio of 9.2. Using the supplied eyepieces (10mm and 20mm) you get 70x and 35x magnification (the info on the eyepiece is it's focal length not magnification). Using a 3x barlow would give 210x and 105x respectively, which on a small 76mm aperture is pushing it beyond its capabilities (IMO the 210x is impractical with such a small scope, even if you could focus at this magnification the image would be so dull you wouldn't resolve anything !). Even the stated 180x max useful magnification stated on the Celestron web site probably requires ideal seeing.

hi and welcome not sure on this scope but i would not move the mirrors up and down you have a toy really,so do not expect to much from it but what you have found is that you should have used a astro shop and or saved up some more cash but leave the mirrors where they are if it will not focus its because the mag is to high

The mirrors have a fixed position consistent with the focal length of the scope. This should not be changed. But what you do at the focuser end is what produsces the correct view - and that's down to eyepieces and how far the draw tube is in/out.

But there are many things to take into consideration apart from the correct focus. What you see on one night may be different to what you see on another (even with the same configuration). And that's down to seeing conditions.

One night will be clearer than another, and on any night there's more chance of a clearer view at a higher elevation. Looking towards the horizon means you are looking through more atmosphere dimming the object somewhat.

Also the more you magnify the dimmer it gets. Small apertures don't collect as much light as larger ones, so contrast and clarity are also affected. If you magnify the object you will also magnify atmospheric imperfections.

Get the focus point set up correctly first, then experiment with different eyepiece and barlow combinations, and you'll soon find the limits of the scope. I doubt for practical purposes, on a good transparent night, that your scope will go much beyond 120x. :p

Actually people do move the mirror up either on its springs or by moving the whole cell but this is in extremis and the real issue, as stated above, is that you can't get too much magnification from a small scope. Enjoy the powers that work well. Lots of beginners chase high powers but the more experienced like to stay well within the comfort zone of the optics.

Olly

a rough guide to how much mag you can use with your scope is the diameter of the scope , ie in your case x76 mag , this is just a rough guide,

i had a similar sized scope a few years ago , and using the barlow with the 4mm eyepiece is way to much magnification for most scopes , especially a small scope like yours .

but dont let that put you off , you will be able to see many amazing objects with the 76eq , the 20 mm eyepiece will be the most used in your scope this will let you find the objects , then try the 4mm to see if you can resolve the object at higher mag , the 4mm will be okay to use on the moon and possibly jupiter , but for galaxies and nebulas you will only be using the 20 mm :p

anyway you are off to a good start rebuilding the scope , im sure this will be good experiance for the future when you are hooked :icon_salut:

Archived