Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cannot focus my DSLR when mounted to the scope

Can anyone help? I received a Nikon T-system (T-ring) and Revelation Astro 2" T2 camera adapter for my Nikon D5100 to attach it to my Orion XT8i, but when I tried to focus on the moon the other night, I could not get a clear image through my camera view finder. It was so out of focus with the focuser fully out, and beginning to get there, however still very out of focus with the Crayford Focuser fully in. It is almost as if the camera needs to move closer to the secondary mirror. Is it the correct adapter, or do I need one with a lense in it? Thanks for any feed back. Si :p

Dan148 - many thanks for this helpful link to the You Tube clip. I've watched it and it explains everything. Funny, I was just talking to my girlfriend saying I think I'm going to need a 2" Barlow. Next purchase then . . . Regards Si :p

Using a Barlow (whilst a perfectly acceptable solution) may bring with it other issues.

The better long term solution (regarding imaging) in my humble opinion would be to investigate means of getting the DSLR closer to the secondary.

Moving the mirror up the tube, a lower profile t-mount or even a low profile focuser could be used to achieve this.

Archived