Jessops Telescope

I have just been given a Jessops TA900-114EQ telescope for Christmas and I am absolutely in awe, I have been wanting a telescope for a long long time!

I was just looking for a bit of feedback (any kinds (tips etc.)) on my telescope!

I will be most grateful :p

Alex

Hi and congrats on your new scope.

From the name of your scope, I would suggest it has a 900mm focal length (FL) and 114mm aperture.

I'm not sure what eyepieces came with it but the magnification can be calculated by dividing the FL of your scope by the FL of the eyepiece.

Lower magnifications will be easier to use than higher magnifications because the mount will be prone to juddering when in use. Check the tripod is fully tightened as this can help.

Start off by looking at the Moon and brighter planets and experiment with eyepieces.

Take your time to learn the brighter constellations as this will help you find deep space objects (DSOs - galaxies, clusters and nebulae) later. It is worth getting a pocket sky atlas and perhaps the highly recommended book "Turn Left at Orion" to help you find your way around.

Don't expect DSOs to look like they do in the photos, they will be both smaller and much fainter.

If you become hooked, you will soon want a larger telescope with a sturdier mount - this is known as aperture fever for which there is no known cure! :p

Good luck!

Hi and congratulations on your new telescope. All you need now is a clear night!

I agree with everything Double Kick Drum says and would only add that if you have access to a computer you should download Stellarium. It is free and will help you find your way around the night sky.

Happy stargazing and welcome to the forum.

That's a good telescope to start with, get to know the sky as best you can, and hunt out deep sky objects, like the Orion Nebula, also, have a look at the Moon, also Jupiter and it's moons, the planet is the brightest object besides the Moon in the sky at the moment, it's in the south to start with, you should see four moons either side of the planet, small pin pricks of light, you'll be amazed.

Thanks for the advice! =)

I will do all of it.. I could definitely do with some sort of book/guide as at the minute I am quite clueless as to what I'm looking for (but enjoying it no less)!

I am looking forward to having the equipment to share picture with you all one day.

Hi Alexander V,

Did you get out with your new telescope last night?

I took my new binoculars out and had a great view of the Moon and also Jupiter. You should easily make out Jupiter and four of its moons with your scope.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I got the exact same scope for Xmas too, I was looking at Jupiter and Venus in January although Venus was in the evening and just looked like a bright star. just been out tonight and had a look at mars and then Saturn for my first time ever and was amazed at Saturn! I am hooked!! Haha

If you have an iPhone (not sure if this app is available on any other phone) I highly recommend downloading an app called 'star walk' you point your phone up to the night sky and it tells you what's there infront of you! Anywhere you point it! And if you tap on whatever object you're pointing towards it gives you some fascinating information and facts about it!

Happy gazing! =)

Alex,

As a fellow beginner with a Jessops scope, I would also recommend 'Turn Left at Orion'. It's a great read and has helped me find my way around the stars - managed to see my first Nebula last night, so was really pleased :)

Mark

• 2 years later...

Hope I'm not too late to reply to the original post, But I've just picked up a second hand Jessops 114 for £30. I've not tested it on the night sky yet, hopefully tonight however fingers crossed!! but it seems much better than my initial Celestron 130eq Astromaster that's for sure!!

Archived