Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

One man, One night, 6 planets, a moon and . .

andyc277

Having had a good look at stellarium, astro panel and the weather forecast i decided that last night would be a good night to have a look at the planets, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn along with the moon and whatever else i could find.

I started with Jupiter (my favourite) and Venus in the early evening. Thanks to the Astro Panel App i have a discovered that ISS was due to make a pass so i checked that out as well. I also had a good look at the moon which was as beautiful as ever.

Having ticked those off i had a good look at Pleiades and then a general look around to see what was there but nothing in depth.

Early alarm, and a 4 year old, at 0615. Time for Saturn and Mars, My scope doesnt have a huge amount of power but i could make out a squashed look of Saturn that would be the rings. Mars wasnt brilliant but ill wait a couple of months for the good views. The last in the quest Mercury, which i had to wait a little while for, and then some more and a bit more. By which time daylight had beaten me. I hadnt seen Mercury but i rather suspect that my viewpoint, bedroom window, was too obscured to the SE to get a good sight.

Despite the ommission i had a pretty good night. I know Uranus would of been a possibility but i dont have enough power in my Celestron FirstScope.

PS The 6th Planet i managed to find with my eyes closed!

Archived