Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GOTO mount

So I'm thinking of investing a computerized mount for my Sky watcher Skyliner 200p Dob. But I'm rather confused.

I emailed first light optics and they said the minimum they would suggest would be the Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO Synscan n the best one would be NEQ6 Synscan.

But What's the difference between the Skywatcher HEQ5 PRO Synscan and the Skywatcher EQ5 PRO Synscan GOTO. :p

The HEQ5 is a much sturdier build than the EQ5 and has a larger payload capacity. The motors which are in the HEQ5 are also more accurate than those in the EQ5. The HEQ5 would be a good investment if you want to get into photography at a later date, the EQ5 wouldn't be so good with a 1200mm F/L scope which I found and was only just good enough for visual. NEQ6 would be even better - had my 200P on it for the first time last night and it is rock steady!

I believe the difference is just that one mount has a GoTo facility and the other doesn't. The mounts themselves are otherwise identical.

The NEQ6 is a more substantial mount.

I don't own much Skywatcher stuff but I am sure someone will be able to elaborate on this.

Happy hunting!

Whoops, misread your question slightly. HEQ5 is a sturdier mount than EQ5. NEQ6 is even heavier.

Apologies.

heh thanks,

I love my hobby but by god it's expensive and I'm totally clueless.

I just want a mount that can move, track and allow me to take pictures of planets and DSO.. lol think I've been reading into a bit too much tonight.

The 200P is a big tube to put on a mount - even a slight breeze will make it vibrate - not so bad for visual but for imaging it needs to be rock steady. That's why they said the HEQ5 is minimum for that size of scope.

The next heavy weight mount up is the NEQ6 pro and is far preferable for imaging - I've seen a 250P handled nicely on one of those. Either that or one of the Celestron CGEM's which also provide a rock solid platform.

Although it's dear - the NEQ6 Pro is terrific value for money and you'll never need another mount. :p

(did you consoder second hand? could save a few hundred quid depending on age and condition)

The 200P is a big tube to put on a mount - even a slight breeze will make it vibrate - not so bad for visual but for imaging it needs to be rock steady. That's why they said the HEQ5 is minimum for that size of scope.

The next heavy weight mount up is the NEQ6 pro and is far preferable for imaging - I've seen a 250P handled nicely on one of those. Either that or one of the Celestron CGEM's which also provide a rock solid platform.

Although it's dear - the NEQ6 Pro is terrific value for money and you'll never need another mount. :p

(did you consoder second hand? could save a few hundred quid depending on age and condition)

It's trying to find the second hand mounts. I was really hoping the EQ5 would be good enough :icon_salut: and I'm pretty sheltered where I live too. I'd get the NEQ6 if I worked or won the lottery lol

Archived