Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

which camera for my scope?

Hi all

As a complete newbie to both stargazing and this forum, this is my first question

Ive got for chrimbo an Sky-Watcher Skyhawk 1145p synscan az goto,sadly it looks like im going to be made redundant in the new year so money is going to go down a bit,so while i still have some id like to get a camera for my scope, can you guide me in what direction i should look, my budget is around the £300 mark

My scope came with an 2x barlows lens 1/25", a super25 wide angle long eye relief and a super 10mm

i hope this is enough info to guide me

Thanx Minty

ps sorry for no fullstops ive just lost the dot button on my keyboard:confused:

As it's an alt-az mount you will be limited to planetary and lunar shots I reckon. A web cam is a great way to get those and the cost is quite low. The webcam goes in place of the eyepieces having 1st had it's lens (the webcams) removed and an adapter fitted. You can then capture either single images or AVI's and stack the frames to get decent detail.

second here for a webcam.

Do however note not all webcams are created equal. It would appear the most popular is the out of production Philips SPC900 or modded earlier version. Why?.. they're good CCD so very sensitive. (I tried a cheap CMOS webcam and never got a thing... and I tried it on my 12" f5 monster)

The phillips cams can be had for a few tens of pounds with various levels of mods.

Hope this helps

Derek

Archived