Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cheshire Collimators

Anweniel

Was thinking of purchasing a Cheshire as I am aware of the need to collimate reflectors reguarly to keep quality views.

Having been quite surprised how good a view I get from my 130mm Skywatcher and after nearly 6 months never having been collimated I wondered about doing this.

As I understand the calibration value of collimating your reflector is really dependant to a degree on the quality of the focuser, the one on mine is one of those awful stock R&P types :/

I guess even if it is gonna be pretty fruitless collimating the current reflector it may be useful for a future improvement(and cause to suggest to Mrs. Anweniel that a new scope SHOULD be purchsed :p)

Any thoughts?

Collimation is easy, fairly fast and makes a dramatic difference if your mirrors are out of whack.

I say buy one, aligned mirrors will make a big difference and at the very least you can learn the craft on something that you don't have to run back and forward to either end of a tube collimating.

A Cheshire collimator is about the same as the next* so don't get too excited chasing after fancy looking ones.

*While talking the £20-£40 ones you see online.

Archived