Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece help!

Hello,

Used my new scope today for the first time. I managed to locate jupiter but for some reason could only see it with the 25mm supplied ep and that was on minimum focus, the result was a jupiter was like half a mm and moons that were like less than half a mm big and only I (being 14 with good eyesight) could see any detail or colour. I have two supplied eyepieces 10mm and 25mm the 10 would not work and ended up being an unfocused white blob (I tried focussing it). Is what I saw my fault as I was not using it properly or was it wrong magnification (focal length=1200 aperture=254 focal ratio= f/4.7) or is it the wrong eyepieces or is it because the eyepieces are supplied eps. Any help is appreciated, I was expecting a little more from the 'scope so will be happy to know the problem.

Thanks,

Midge

i was out tonight with my new skyhawk 114 and only just managed to see a couple of bands on jupiter (had to focus my eyes in a way that you do when looking at those magic hidden pictures) with the 10mm ep supplied. my scope is alot slower than yours (f8) so i believe that your problem could well be the quality of the supplied ep's.

good luck in sorting it out.

martin

I have no problem focusing with the same ep's (assuming you're using the supplied skywatcher ep's)

Yes I am using the supplied Sw eps and I found that Jupiter (through the 10inch came out as a very unfocused white blob. The only ep I could use was the 25mm and all I saw with that were half a mm big things which strained my eyes. Investing in a cheshire collimater as we speak and then I will collimate it correctly.

Archived