cant see anything through new scope sw200p

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The eyepiece is the standard 25mm. The adaptor it's in is non-standard - should be around an inch taller. That could be the issue.

looks similar to the adapter on my diagonal on my ed80. where lostboys eyepice is sitting there is on mine a white cap that i remove to fit my 1.25 eyepice.

20mm wide angle

Sorry :D

The pic was a bit fuzzy !.

Definitely not the right adapter though - see the pic of the correct one posted earlier in this thread - yours is much shorter which might explain why the eyepiece is not reaching it's focus point.

That's strange as it was missing the 2-1.25 and was sent a few days ago straight from shop I bought it from?

That actually might explain it - you need a bespoke Skywatcher one and they can be hard to get hold of at short notice. Your supplier seems to have sent you a bog standard 2" - 1.25" adapter.

If your supplier can't source a replacement, they sell them here for £8.00:

AstroBoot

It sure looks too short to me so here's a quick workaround to see if we are on the right track. Have a look at your Barlow Lens, you'll see that you can unscrew the bottom part that contains the lens element - this will give you a plain extension tube. Insert this into the eyepiece holder then insert the eyepiece into the now lensless Barlow and see if you can get it to focus.

I have found some other bits they gave me that seem to fit together, this would take eye piece about an inch further away, does these 2 adaptors look right (no eyepiece inserted)

thats it. :D the 2 screws at the very top, undo them take the cap off and drop your eyepiece in and bingo.

So all this time I have been using wrong 1.25 adaptor, god knows what other ones are for, I have work in 5hrs so have to call it a night, I will try the telescope out tomorrow night and post results as to whether it worked or not, I will then post pictures of other adaptors to see if any one could tell me what there for.

Woooohoooo OMG. I had my first encounter with the night sky last night, absolutely fantastic.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Now if I can just take some basic pictures of andromeda galaxy and orion nebula I will be very pleased, did manage to get the moon by holding digital camera to eye piece, but black screen with no detail when I tried andromeda galaxy, and just a few stars but no nebula around them on andromeda nebula, mabe I should remove eye piece and try again!

Astrophotography is complicated! I'd find your feet visually, first, then try a webcam for solar system and lunar imaging. The webcam or super-webcam is the device used by the very best in the field. Nothing else comes close and quite good ones are very cheap. The software is free.

Olly

Woooohoooo OMG. I had my first encounter with the night sky last night, absolutely fantastic.

Thank you so much for all your help!

Now if I can just take some basic pictures of andromeda galaxy and orion nebula I will be very pleased, did manage to get the moon by holding digital camera to eye piece, but black screen with no detail when I tried andromeda galaxy, and just a few stars but no nebula around them on andromeda nebula, mabe I should remove eye piece and try again!

You've just managed to see your first object and now you want to start imaging :p:icon_salut:

The moon is a really bright object and is well within the range of the shutter speeds of most digital camera's. For imaging fainter objects you will need a camera that can have it's shutter held open for minutes at a time. You also need a very stable mount and it needs to be very well aligned to the polar axis, and have precision tracking to get the best results... Holding a compact digital camera to an eyepiece won't work for faint DSO's.

Archived