NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First scope

you lot must be getting bored with first scope enquiries but here goes.

I have 3 in mind :

Celestron 127EQ

Sky-Watcher 130EQ

Sky-Watcher 130P Flex Tube Dobsonian

I will add that I am an absolute beginner but have a decent knowledge of where things live in the sky.

Please advise

Many thanks

Knowing the sky is good place to start I would say, I can vouch for the skywatcher 130tube although I have it on an alt-azi mount. I couldn't tell you about the celestron although judging by reports form other users and some captures I think they are pretty comparible.

Not had the pleasure of using a dob but I guess the flextube makes it more portable than the other 2 having pretty much the same tube though.

All good starter scope I should think :D

some reasonable knowledge of the night skies would suggest you go for the dob, being the more portable would help if you wish to take it to a decent location which will aid in getting the best from it, the 150 I have has given some incredible sights for something so inexpensive so can imagine how good the 130 would be :D

Just a footnote to my original post, after further research the 130EQ seems to have more magnification possibilities as it comes with a x2 barlow along with the 10mm & 25mm eyepieces, but the Dobsonian boasts a parabolic primary mirror, just to confuse me even more.

an option may be to get to a local astronomy society and see if any members have a telescope of two so you may try them out before you buy anything.

any eyepieces or barlow that come as standard will not be too good so if you do buy a new telescope its something to consider, surprising what a separate reasonable quality bit of kit, for not too money, can deliver in performance.

Although anything will be better than nothing. At least you'll be out observing.

Good Luck with it :D

Archived