Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepiece help

craigguk

evening all im thinking of buying a few pieces of equipment mainly i want to see planets in detail ie jupiters red spot was just wandering how would i go about doing this with a celestron 114 sct im guessing i will need an eyepiece for this. atm i only have a celestron 10 mm and a 25mm any advice will be greatly received

thanks in advance

You could invest in some better quality eyepieces but they won't actually show you anything that the standard issue ones don't - they will just show the same things a bit more nicely.

I think your scope has a focal length of 1000mm in which case your 10mm gives you 100x which should be enough to see some details on Jupiter. The Great Red Spot is not as easy to see as it's name and fame suggest though. You need good viewing conditions, a cooled and collimated scope and some practice viewing the planet to pick it out. It's a sort of pale oval in the southern equatorial belt but its not always on our side of the planet of course.

Archived