NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

QHY8L v QHY8 Pro

Willarnold

Hi All,

I think I've narrowed the search for my Hyperstar camera to QHY8, but is the QHY8 Pro really worth the extra cost?

As far as I can see the Pro has a different sensor, and can cool an additional 10 degrees, but that's it.

http://www.qhyccd.com/QHY8PRO/QHY8PRO%20Introduction.pdf

http://www.gamaelectronics.com.au/files/QHY8L_Introduction[1].pdf

Any thoughts? the Pro version is nearly double the price. Saying that though, I want to buy once, not cheaper and regret it.

Thanks

As far as I can see the Pro has a different sensor, and can cool an additional 10 degrees, but that's it.

It's a question I've been considering recently, too.

The QHY8L uses the same sensor that the early Canon DSLRs used (The 350D, I think) and also I'm told one of the Nikon DSLRs used that chip too. Before you get put off, thinking: "it's only a chip used for consumer grade products (and old ones, too)", it's also the sensor used in Starlight's SXVR-M25C at summat over £2k. In addition it's being used in Opticstar's new DS616C that isn't available yet.

So the sensor itself has a good pedigree. I suppose the big question is: how well to these various cameras use it?

It is the chip used that is the price amongst other things.

My old 1000D knocked the socks off my even older 350D

Call Bern at ModernAstronomy and ask him to discuss it properly with you. Let him know I suggested it. He is a top bloke and will give you the proper knowledge to make a decision without pressurizing you.

The QHY8L does have a Amp glow issue which does require calibration frames (bias and Flats) to be at least 3.xx lets call it 4 seconds long, so they match lights and darks.

I don't follow this, Earl. Flats can be 4 seconds long but bias?

Olly

Yes, with the QHY8L you have you use dark flats rather than bias frames if your flats are over 3.6 (I think that is the value) seconds long.

This is because the camera operates in a different mode when the exposures are 3.6 seconds or less. When the exposures are that short it actually takes 2 exposures, one for each interlaced field so the 2 fields are exposed for the same length of time.

Chris

Archived