Beginning an Astrophotography Journey - First Question

Hello All. I am just starting out with Astrophotography and have a very basic question. I have a spotting scope (Celestron 80F-ED) and my trusty Pentax K-5. However, when I mount the scope on the tripod it is clear that the arrangement is way too flimsy. So, I need to get a new tripod setup. Question then -- I can get a good set of legs for the tripod, but I'm dumbfounded with the head. Naturally, I'd like one that handles the weight (8-ish pounds) but also one that will stay put AND that will get at least 45 degrees altitude (preferably more). Anybody have an idea what tripod head might suffice for this? I live in a place with no shops to experiment in so I'm having to order online. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-- Steve.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will need a mount that tracks the motion of the stars, although I am not certain what kind of images you are planning.

You may want to read a book "making every photon count" by this forum's own Steppenwolf.

Hi AGs. Thanks for your thoughts. One of the nice things about the K-5 is that with the GPS mount it will shift the sensor on three axes to keep the sensor in sync with the sky's apparent motion. I wouldn't be taking a *real* long exposure -- more likely several shorter exposures and trying to combine them. But, I'll need the tripod & mount to keep the scope/camera fixed.

Thanks for pointing me toward the book. This is, indeed, my initial foray so it is all brand new (and exciting). But I'll need some good books to keep me on track.

If you want to do astrophotography you really want the heq5 or better yet eq6. you could get away unguided with the celestron cg5gt but eventually you will find that unsatisfying and want to get guided. Save yourself a load of money and get the heq5 or eq6 first time round

If you want to do astrophotography you really want the heq5 or better yet eq6. you could get away unguided with the celestron cg5gt but eventually you will find that unsatisfying and want to get guided. Save yourself a load of money and get the heq5 or eq6 first time round

These mount will also support a reasonably big scope for imaging. The motor are much better on these than an eq5 and lower. If you are just wanting to use your camera on a tripod and do not have interests in a telescope then an eq3 guided may be what your looking for.

Hope this helps

These mount will also support a reasonably big scope for imaging. The motor are much better on these than an eq5 and lower. If you are just wanting to use your camera on a tripod and do not have interests in a telescope then an eq3 guided may be what your looking for.

Hope this helps

Many Thanks -- Actually, my hope is to move as quickly as I can into a larger scope for deep space object photography. Not knowing how or where to start I figured this was a pretty good way to get my feet wet. So, in a sense, this is somewhat of a temporary setup until I can build my knowledge and learn how to steer myself through the unknowns.

The Manfrotto 393 long lens support bracket is designed for the large 400-600mm prime lenses and will allow you to get the angles you want.

BUT

do not use it in the configuration Manfrotto show on-line as it is unstable. The head works much better with both arms under the lens, so the head cradles the lens.

warning scary picture below

Be_Afraid_lol_by_KevLewis.jpg

Archived