i have a problem

hi

i'm a new one, i got my first telescope three days ago (celestron nexstar 127 slt). the next day i went and bought the batteries and it woked ... but yesterday it didnt work any more...i don't know why but it just doesn't switch on.

does someone know what is wrong and what should i do?

What batteries ?

Did you by chance leave the scope On overnight ?

Are they drained?

I assume that there is an On/Off switch on the main body, is there an LED as well and does this illuminate?

Could be the handset that is not getting power.

If it is just the handset then "wiggle" the connector a bit.

Where about are you?

You may need a second handset, to borrow, to see if that second one works, if so then the fault is in your handset. The scope would have to be returned.

Have you a Maplins close where you could buy a mains supply for the scope?

Batteries are never good in these.

Hi, first thing would be to check the batteries, the Goto eats AA batteries, I doubt that you'll get anywhere near the 20 hrs use that the manual claims. At a minimum, try a high capacity set of Replacements or an external power supply.

Good luck, you've a great scope.

8 batteries AA alkaline

i don't really know, but i think i didn't:)

they are still full, i tried on another device (clock)

yes, there is and it doesn't illuminate.

i'm from slovenia and i don't understand the word handset and what connector should i wiggle?

and i dont know anybody that would have a telescope at home so i cant try it with another handset....and i think the nearest shop with telescopes and so is in neighbouring country and the postage is pretty high so i tried on this forum first...

and yeah, i tried buying an adapter too...but i think i didn't get the right accessory to connect it with my telescope because the telescope didn't switch on even three days ago when it did, when powered by batteries...

Whilst the may power a clock which would draw very little current, slewing a scope takes a couple of amps, and typically drains the batteries down quite quickly. If you buy another set of decent quality batteries and try that and the mount fails to slew then you should contact the retailer and take it back to the shop to let them sort it out.

My guess is that with a new set of batteries will resolve the problem

I had a Nexstar 102 STL and the batteries used to last no more than a couple of hours. When was learning to use it I once used the batteries up before I got Star Alien working, you need a power pack ASAP. Yes the light on the hand set will light up but not enough to power the mount, and possibly to not even power any text on the hand set.

well, if the batteries are really that bad and don't last long, than i would like to buy that power pack. but i'm not really good with electronics, so i would like to check first if this is the right thing:

Celestron AC Adapter for Computerized Celestron Telescopes - Telescope Accessories at Telescopes

but the problem is that we here in slovenia don't use such connection(i'm not sure if that's the right word)....we use this ones:

Opozorilo o preusmeritvi

so i checked it up in some european shops and i found this one:

Celestron electronic 12V switch power pack

but this one doesn't have the same joining piece, which is joined with telescope, as the one from the shop telescopes.com ....so i'm wondering if it will still work?

ok guys, thank you for all the help....i found the reason and the telescope is working fine:)

the polarity on the connecting piece of the adapter wasn't right, so i just had to change it...now it's working!:p

tnx, and happy new year!

Archived