Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting better

Ian123

Had an hours observing tonight and getting to grips with the new gear.

So used to the smaller bins and there wide FOV i had trouble locating M31 due to the fact only 3 dergrees in the 22x85 but nailed after a few minutes, not ideal conditions again but could see a bright core which was pleasing sight.

Over to Orion and slightly better viewing this time with 4 stars visible in M42.

Saw Sirius and tried M41 again but not as good as the other night, back to Sirius and was great sight to see it split. Very luminus with some slight CA but never the less, split :)

Thought i'd try another double, Almach in And but no such luck, is Sirius easier or was it the conditions?

Finally i'd try to locate some clusters in Auriga, went for M37 for my first crack and finally caught it with me knelt on the floor and bins at a tight angle with my neck bent back as well but worth it to bag another Messier and cross it off the list.

Will try the other clusters on a clearer night and when better located.

Ian.

I find it unbelievable that you saw Sirius B with bins. It uisually takes a moderate sized scope with the primary blocked from view to detect. Could it have been another close, faint star you saw?

Sirius is 'siriusly' difficult to split (sorry, it's christmas :-)), much more difficult than Almach so I would say if you didn't split Almach, it is unlikely that you saw Sirius b.

I've never managed it, regardless if what scope I've been using, and I seem to remember that it takes alot of effort even for very experienced observers to see.

Stu

I find it unbelievable that you saw Sirius B with bins. It uisually takes a moderate sized scope with the primary blocked from view to detect. Could it have been another close, faint star you saw?
Sirius is 'siriusly' difficult to split (sorry, it's christmas :-)), much more difficult than Almach so I would say if you didn't split Almach, it is unlikely that you saw Sirius b.

I've never managed it, regardless if what scope I've been using, and I seem to remember that it takes alot of effort even for very experienced observers to see.

Stu

I was pretty sure there was seperation with one sitting on top of the other.

Maybe it was down to poor judgement on my part as you say Almach is easier to split.

I think these are two objects i will be returning to again on clear nights and with more intense study.

Thank's guys. (i think :D)

Sorry Ian, don't mean to be doubting. I am basing my comments in reading accounts from other, far more experienced (than me) observers who have spent a very long time failing to see it so I know it is hard. It requires very steady seeing, and I know that it is quite easy to mistake optical artifacts for the b component. Let us know how you get on, would be great to know you've definitely seen it.

Cheers

Stu

Sorry Ian, don't mean to be doubting. I am basing my comments in reading accounts from other, far more experienced (than me) observers who have spent a very long time failing to see it so I know it is hard. It requires very steady seeing, and I know that it is quite easy to mistake optical artifacts for the b component. Let us know how you get on, would be great to know you've definitely seen it.

Cheers

Stu

No probs BigMak, this is reason we are all here, to learn form others and gain the invaluable experience that brings.

Its looking unlikely i observed the double but wont stop me trying :).

Will try Almach over the coming weeks and try to split that and some other doubles as well, my eyes are still in there infancy when coming to looking through the bins and the variety of objects in the sky.

But i feel the force......it is strong :D

Almach is lovely, my favourite double I think. Albireo is another good one to try but think you need to catch that early on these days. Can't recall what magnification you need to split them, will see how low I can go next time.

I caught a couple of nice doubles, and the little triple in Orion last night, as ever, can't remember their names :-)

Stu

Archived