Checking I have polarscope setup on EQ5 correctly

I've just spent most of the afternoon and evening reading. I "think" I have done this right but would appreciated some confirmation.

1 - I rotated the RA axis so that the polarscope show Polaris in transit (ie. bottom of the scope)

2 - I set the time ring to 0:00 and locked it

3 - Turned the date ring to 30th October and left the time at 0:00, that date/time being a known transit for the UK of Polaris

4 - Unscrewed the date index marker and rotated it to 0 (on the E|W thingy)

From what I understand, all I need to do in use is:

1 - Line the N leg on the mount up with North

2 - Ensure the date circle is zerod

3 - Rotate the RA axis until the two circles show the date/time of observation

4 - Observe Polaris and adjust the azimuth screws for fine tuning

I've already set the altitude to 51 degrees which is where I am in Stevenage.

I've also already bent, fixed and replaced the south Altitude screw :)

One thing I don't understand is that given its all aligned at this stage, why do I need to find a bright star such as Vega, and set the dials to this when I've already set them when polar aligning. Does this just further tweak them or is it not required if you're using a polar scope?

Yes, the solarscope has a ring around the NCP which has a circle for Polaris. the "second" time I set the altitude I didn't have the mount loaded with the scope and weights. The first time, well, you know how that went I guess.

With regards to aligning the scope, next on my list with re-checking the collimation when cooled and loaded.

First check the alignment of your polar scope, rotate the RA axis through 90 degrees and put polaris in the centre cross of the reticule, rotate again through 180 deg if its still in the same place it's OK, if it's moved adjust the retucule so polaris half way back to the centre by moving the three small allen screws. Make very small adjustments as the reticule can fall out if you move them too much. repeat until polaris does not move.

Yeah, going to setup the polar thing as you say, I'll probably centre Polaris on the NCP and do the RA rotation trick. Then once its nailed I can align to the Polaris marker and mark out some points on the ground.

My Patio isn't that deep and I have a West facing garden so I'm worried that Polaris will be very close to the neighbours house or maybe blocked. If its too close to the neighbours I hope they don't think I'm spying through the bedroom window as I have a feeling that Polaris will be in that location, can't say I've looked for it in the back garden yet.

• 4 weeks later...
got polar finder, looked at polaris position, dialled in current date/time and it was bang on the same place as the software.

Hi, I am also trying to work this out, does doing this with polar finder mean that you don't then need to do steps 1 - 4 above? Does polar finder method alone set you absolutely correctly?

Also, my scope has to be turned 90 degrees on the mount in order to see through the polar scope, If scope is pointing along RA axis it is then turned shut at front end, does this sound right?

I think I have worked out all of the above. I polar aligned scope based on Astro-Baby's simple alignment method.

Whilst trying the polar scope method last night, I started to wonder if I was going mad? In the daytime, looking through the polar scope reveals a cross and circle on the reticule for aligning with polaris, when looked through at night this can't be seen, making it impossible to make the alignment in the dark? Am I missing something really obvious? :)

Archived