First telescope advice

Yes, my bad, I understand the distinction, the thread relates to dobs not eqs. That said, ive not seen a dob used with anything other than a newt, a doband refractor would presumably be impossible to use unless it was massive and on something to raise it (im guessing the large obs ones are like this?)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I think that would just make it an alt-az mounted refractor.

Dobsonian are Newtonian, because Newtonian has top mounted eyepieces. The OTA contributes to the eyepiece height so the mounting point can be below the height of the eyepiece. As such relatively small dob mount can be used.

A refractor or SCT has rear mounted eyepiece, so their OTAs subtract from the heights. As such the mounting points for these OTA needs to be higher than the eyepiece, which in turn will require a larger mount. This eliminate some of the advantages of a dob. When a dob style mount is build for a frac or CAT, I think they will be classified as Alt-az fork mount instead.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I got my explorer 200p today, all went together b

Nicely until I fitted the alt bolts after mounting the scope, end result, a bent bolt in the head, managed to get it out without damage the the thread in the head, just need a new bolt, set up at 51degrees and off I go.

Ita collimation is way out, so thats tomorrows job. The finder scope mounting doesnt look particularly sturdy tbh. The included polar scope in the mount looks like a useful addition too.

Hopefully some clear skies and ill get some action at the weekend.

The scope is pretty light, its bulky but very managable, the mount is only he avy with the weights on which can bolt on last. Hopefully thatll sway anyone else finding this thread to go for the 200 instead of 150, u get more aperture, polar scope, eq5 mount for not much more hassle with the package bundle

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the new scope :)

... The finder scope mounting doesnt look particularly sturdy tbh.....

Have you got the rubber O ring in place around the body of the finder ?. The O ring holds the finder tube firmly in place in the finder mount so that the adjustments made with the screws at the other end are firmly held. It works well when it's set up properly :(

Archived