Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Giro or Skytee mount fit LXD55 Tripod

Telescope40

Hi Guys. I have transferred my LXD55 mount to an EQ6 tripod leaving me with the original LXD 55 box aluminium tripod as surplus to requirements.

Would anyone know if a Giro or Skytee mount would fit onto this tripod.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1361495788126&id=a44c2ab3d21072c0904beb3032a1642f

Stock picture added showing the top of this tripod before the original mount was removed.

Mulling about giving one of these mounts a go.

As always. Any insight most apprecciated John

Hi Shane. Thanks for the offer. I havent forgotten about the chance of a visit to you with kit. I will be in touch.

I am looking to make use of this spare tripod and mount my ED100 on it. These mounts look like a nice piece of kit. I've just seen a bracket / bar on the TS website that can be used to mount binos on as well. Could be good for my large Celestrons. The credit card is making a retreat to back of my wallet as this idea is beginning to snowball.

Last nite was a bad nite at the office. Not a problem. Had to happen but still top with a massive GD. I put it down to the Clattenburg effect. Sure it was mentioned on Star Trek once :)

You wud think Chelski fans had won the Champs league.

Regards John

No worries at all John, you're welcome anytime and I'll be in touch soon too, you know what it's like.

I really like the Giro. I think it would work even better with a slightly longer / heavier OTA like yours and would be interesting to see if this is the case. will be interesting. If I were buying one new, I'd get the one with the two clamps; mine has one clamp one side and a bar on the other.

Yeah, not worried about footy really but would have been nice to keep the run going. Then again a few years ago such a run would have been (and is of course) a great achievement.

Hi Telescope40,

I have just done a quick search fro LXD55 tripod and one of the images (albeit small/first page/second row/second image) shows the top part looks like it will fit.

I have a Giro II DX on a similar tripod as yours ('SkyWatcher' I think) that I purchased from the AstroBoot section of an online retailer a few months ago and it fits OK.

Strangely enough, at my local astro society meeting last Saturday (10.12.2011) one of the members saw my setup and commented that the Giro II DX is far superior than the SkyTee mount as he used to own both...

Thanks Phil. Sounds like this could be a work in progress now. I've had a look at the Skytee and WO EZ touch mounts but the Giro seems to be the one to get.

Need to take up Shanes offer of a try of his Giro and take things from there I guess. Just seen ad on ABS for a Giro but comes with tripod. Think the seller is a SGL man. Russ from Southampton.

I've sent him a mail.

Apprecite your time. John

Archived