NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looking at getting a Celestron NexStar SLT130

Looking at getting a Celestron NexStar SLT130 to start.

Simple "go to" to get me back to remembering where everything is LOL!

I've read it's limitations and do not expect too much in the way of seeing galaxies or the horsehead nebula, for example.

Any other SLT130 users out there that can help with pros and cons?

I'd eventually like to take pictures of the horsehead nebula (why it fascinates me, I dont know).

What would I be looking at, equipment wise, to be able to image the horeshead nebula (i.e. the horsehead nebula fills my field of view)?

A 10", 14". etc.

Thanks for any and all replies!

OK, got the SLT130 minutes ago!!!

Clear skies tonight!

w00t!

This is a beginner scope for me and the kids, I'm sure I'll be upgrading to something much larger in the next coupe of years for myself.

Now, to begin assembly...(dynamo is like a kid at x-mas LOL).

Congratulations on your new scope dynamo! Hope you enjoy it :)

The slt are a good starting point to get (back) into the hobby, accessible and portable.

For photography you'll need something on a sturdy equatorial mount with accurate tracking, with a large aperture reflector or short focal length refractor. There are plenty more experts in here that can guide you better than me though :)

Congratulations on your new scope dynamo! Hope you enjoy it :)

The slt are a good starting point to get (back) into the hobby, accessible and portable.

For photography you'll need something on a sturdy equatorial mount with accurate tracking, with a large aperture reflector or short focal length refractor. There are plenty more experts in here that can guide you better than me though :)

thanks Dunkster.

indeed, lots more reading (read, read, read 'til my eyes bleed LOL) before i can capture the horsehead nebula, i'm sure.

BTW, what power would I need, approximately, to capture an image similar to this in my aperature?

Whoa, sorry about the huge image!

12-27-2008_HorseHead2.jpg

Wow, you are so fast! You got the telescope in 4 hours, lol.

Congratulations on the telescope, enjoy it :)

LOL, yes I found it in local online classifieds yesterday and have been exchanging email and phone calls with the seller.

The guy delivered to my door today around noon and it ends up we have many mutual friends, including a former neighbour from across the street (his wife still lives there, amicable divorce).

I know the owners where he works and we exchanged business cards and will stay in contact.

He works for a contract engineering firm and I'm always looking to take temps on for projects when my staff is booked solid.

Too funny!

Btw the guy who took that pic has some pretty amazing equipment.

Have a look in the Imaging Deep Sky section and see what other members are using :)

incredible!

i hope the kids are as passionate about this as i am.

they will be home shortly so better have some more hot tea and get ready to take them out if they're up for it!

LOL, yes I found it in local online classifieds yesterday and have been exchanging email and phone calls with the seller.

The guy delivered to my door today around noon and it ends up we have many mutual friends, including a former neighbour from across the street (his wife still lives there, amicable divorce).

I know the owners where he works and we exchanged business cards and will stay in contact.

He works for a contract engineering firm and I'm always looking to take temps on for projects when my staff is booked solid.

Too funny!

This world is a small village, haha :) are things running smoothly with that telescope? Happy star gazing! :)

Same here, I'm reading many articles, I'm still lost lol..

Omar, just my own observation...not trying to sell anything to anyone.

"TheSkyX" software that came with the Celestron scope helped me to get up and running very quickly by pointing out what was in my field of view with the naked eye.

TheSkyX Serious Astronomer Edition - Software Bisque

You simply enter your location and the software will show you what's available.

I was looking at Venus and Jupiter (and some of it's moons) just as the sunset.

I guess I should have read some of your posts before writing this, perhaps this info is not what you're looking for...just sharing some ideas.

Omar, just my own observation...not trying to sell anything to anyone.

"TheSkyX" software that came with the Celestron scope helped me to get up and running very quickly by pointing out what was in my field of view with the naked eye.

TheSkyX Serious Astronomer Edition - Software Bisque

You simply enter your location and the software will show you what's available.

I was looking at Venus and Jupiter (and some of it's moons) just as the sunset.

I guess I should have read some of your posts before writing this, perhaps this info is not what you're looking for...just sharing some ideas.

Any help is appreciated :) I have similar one to this, it is called "Stellarium". It's useful, but to get the best out of it, I should buy a telescope first. I'm interested in Astrophotography, so I will need a well-built telescope with a computerized EQ mount. This will cost me a fortune, so I'm saving up while reading more about Astronomy.

Thank you for sharing :)

Clear skies!

I'm sure you will be very happy with the SLT130. I have the Sky-Watcher version for my son. The views aren't too bad given the size and it's portable enough to keep in the car if you ever venture near dark skies.

Regards getting images like the one you have posted I wouldn't know what equipment specifically would be required but I have an idea on cost by what other members of said. Put it this way it would more than likely be emptying your bank account by £4000+

I'm sure you will be very happy with the SLT130. I have the Sky-Watcher version for my son. The views aren't too bad given the size and it's portable enough to keep in the car if you ever venture near dark skies.

Regards getting images like the one you have posted I wouldn't know what equipment specifically would be required but I have an idea on cost by what other members of said. Put it this way it would more than likely be emptying your bank account by £4000+

spaceboy, I have found a local observatory.

the first meeting of 2012 is in January and an open house at the end of that month.

I spoke to the PR guy today and will be joining the club.

There is plenty of room outside the observatory that's maintained level for people to bring their own scopes.

Should it be a cloudy night, they run images and videos of members' DSO images via overhead projector in the "warm room", which is just warm enough to keep the computers happy.

It's $40 CAN / year to join and after a year in good standing you get a key to use the facilities any time!

The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada - Windsor Center - Hallam Observatory

I am so geeked I cannot wait until the new year!

Meantime, I have spoken to scope dealers in the Toronto, Ontario area and they're telling me a good scope to do what i want is around $4K + CAN, not including camera and accessories.

Until that day, I will enjoy just getting back into the hobby and learning the constellations all over again and whatnot.

Archived