Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

"New Perspectives on Newtonian Collimation" by Vic Menard

This book (5th is latest edition?) would appear to be the definitive guide to collimation.

I can't find any detailed review (mostly to decide if I really need to delve into that apparent level of detail...)

Does anyone have any substantive comments (or can point me in the direction of some)?

Thanks in advance.

Check out the "How to Collimate Your Newtonian" thread by Vic Menard at Cloudy Nights.

Telescope Reviews: How to Collimate your Newtonian

That should give you an idea of the content of his book.

I can't see any reason though why one would want to know or need to know more than can be found in Nils Olof Carlin's (originator of the Barlowed Laser Collimation Technique) "FAQ about Collimating a Newtonian Telescope"

FAQ about Collimating a Newtonian telescope

Read it every two weeks till you understand it all and you'll find you have no one to talk to about collimation that can hold up their end of the conversation ;-)

I am quite familiar with that book in part because I have contributed to some of the graphics in it. The book covers the theory of collimation and explains how to use each of the commonly known collimation tools. I know Vic Minard, the author. He is a well-known expert on the subject of collimation.

Understanding the collimation theory is highly desirable. It will enable you to analyze your collimation and figure out which tool and how to make that last adjustment.

Jason

Archived