Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

If I were to keep my scope & wedge outside, what de-rusting agents should I use?

Im thinking about putting my scope at the back of my house and covering it with this scope cover : Cases, Bags and Covers for Telescopes and Other Optics.

I'm concerned about it rusting, particularly the wedge and tripod. What would forum members recommend that I put on the equipment, if anything?

My scope is a CPC925 and it will be mounted on a wedge.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

For any exposed metal that's prone to rusting, try coating the surfaces with a light amount of Vasoline (petroleum jelly). If it gets on any other surfaces, it won't harm them. The coating will last for years and survive many rain/fog deposits. Just be careful you don't touch the coating and then any optical surfaces. Though it won't harm the EP coatings, it can be a pain to remove without harming the coatings.

Have a look at ACF 50. It is fantastic stuff. Its an Anti Corrosion Formula, used by the American military to protect helicopter components from severe wintery weather conditions I believe....could be wrong.

Plenty of motorcyclists use it to spray all over their bikes for the winter, then wash it off in springtime. It really is good stuff.

Quite expensive at £14 for an aerosol tin, you can get it from the likes of Hein Gericke

Hi Evilgeenius,

Personally I would not..Its not the rust its the dew / moisture that will get into the electronics.

I have a 10" Lx and that weighs 70lb but its preferable to bring it in rather than face a hefty repair bill for the motors and the electronics that drive it . The tripod stays outside that can get as much rust on it as it tries!! But spryed with soime wd40 it stays pretty good.

Cheers

Archived