Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron C9.25 cleaning the mirror?

TerryW

Anyone have any experience of disassembling and reassembling the C925?

After keeping my scope outside for a month and removing the build up of moisture using non-intrusive means I am now left with a cloudy (no pun intended) film on the mirror as viewed under strong light through the objective lens.

Thanks in advance.

Terry

Martin from First Light Optics just straightened me out. The clouding effect is caused by the coatings.

I had convinced myself that in causing the scope to get condensation inside it I had fogged up the mirror with something horrible.

It looks to have completely survived the condensation which I have successfully removed using a computer fan in reverse and a gentle warming from a fan heater. Took all night for the condensation to fade away.

Terry

i made like a fake ep out of nylon in work bored out the ctr and made a cap to close the end off, i then fill the chamber with bags of silica gel wich obsorbs all the moisture inside the ota not that i get any now due to this mod. you could probably use an old ep just remove the glass

Good one.

I have a load of tiny (1" x 1") bags of silica gel. I'll see what I can rustle up.

I'd like to keep the OTA outside on the mount. As the OTA is quite heavy and the losmandy fitting is so flaming awkward to engage that I tend to disturb the mount's north alignment when I screw the OTA on. The whole idea of leaving the mount outside is that I don't need to grovel on the wet shingle to align it every time I use it.

I think a few soft rubber sealing rings of the correct size might help the situation. Plus, Martin at FLO suggested using a celestron focal reducer as it seals the scope better. I am trying to avoid spending any more money on the scope just now but I may end up investing a few pence on rubber seals if I am brave enough to leave it outside again.

Terry

Archived