Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron CG-5 GT mount V Celestron 6-8 SE mount

Matt2011

I am about to swap my Celestron CG-5 GT mount for a Celestron 6-8 SE mount as I have not been able to get on with the CG-5 GT mount and find the set up long and difficult. Will the SE mount be fine with a Skywatcher 127 Mak OTA and how good is the SE mount and I know its an ALT/AZ mount so will make it easier for me but I am hoping to buy a Celestron C6 XLT OTA soon for it. :):cool::)

The SE6/8 mount is very stable and will have no problem holding a 127mak. After all, it is designed to hold the much larger C8. I have no problem with damping time when used with my C6, and it always get the object into the FOV of my 25mm plossl.

I have no experience with the CG5 GT, so I don't know how that compare. Overall, I preferred the SE to my EQ4 with Vixen Starbook S GOTO for visual.

Thanks, I bought the CG-5 GT mount recently but have not had much success. Think there are pros and cons with all mounts but I am looking for a quick and easy set up so gonna swap mine for the SE mount which is a 6-8 SE mount by Celestron and will save for a 6inch Celestron XLT OTA as it will be superior to my Skywatcher 127 Mak OTA. :)

The guy with the SE mount is waiting for his car to be fixed before he comes down to me with his mount for a swap deal but its been finalised but in terms of the mount I am looking for simplicity and the SE mount fits that description for me compared to the CG-5 GT mount. :)

Nothing has been really finalised yet but the CG-5 GT mount is a gr8 mount if your familiar and have the know how to operate a Equatorial Mount and the mount is in good condition but I am finding the set up hard. If anything happens and the person pulls out of the deal as he has no car at the moment then I will get back to you if you want if your interested. :)

Archived