First boy's scope... Infinity, Firstscope or Heritage Mini Dobsonian?

;) Hello! My six year old boy has put TELESCOPE on his Christmas list in big letters. I'm pretty sure he's seen some toy in a catalogue but he's really interested in Space so we dont want to put him off astronomy for life by buying him a toy scope.

I've been looking online at some entry level scopes.

I like the Skywatcher Infinity 76, but should I go for this or the Celestron Firstscope 76, or Heritage 76 Mini Dobsonian Telescope?;)

Hubby is no help, he said "get what you think"... so my next port of call is to ask the experts!!!

Big thanks in advance.

I have heard a lot of good things about this little telescope. Decent optics and although sold as a children's telescope it is actually used by a lot of adults. It is particularly easy for young children to use as they can sit it in their lap while using it.

Have you looked at the youtube video?

John

I have heard a lot of good things about this little telescope. Decent optics and although sold as a children's telescope it is actually used by a lot of adults. It is particularly easy for young children to use as they can sit it in their lap while using it.

Have you looked at the youtube video?

John

That looks the business for a young child.

I got the Firstscope as a 'toe-in-the-water' for my eldest. If I had my choice again I'd get the Infinity. I haven't found the Firstscope to be brilliant but then again it has elicited, "Wows," from all of us as we caught our first sight of Jupiter and his moons, the brighter DSOs and so on - a mixed bag but I have heard far better things about the Infinity; the Mini has also got a better reputation than the Firstscope.

In short: I chose what is meant to be the worst of the bunch and it has still inspired all of us in the family...

Archived