Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron F6.3 Focal Reducer

Just got one of these from auntie FLO for the NS GPS 8 I bought a couple of weeks ago.

Turns the F10 NS into a faster scope with a focal length of 1278mm as opposed to the normal 2032mm.

Increases the scope's brightness, as well as widening the field of view.

Had the first chance last night to use the scope with the reducer. Sky was reasonably clear of cloud but transparency was not brilliant and of course it wasn't very dark (even at 11-30pm). Normally on a night with similar seeing and with the NS at the usual F10 all I would have seen of most DSO's (even globular clusters) is a grey smudge. With the reducer fitted and at 85x mag with the Vixen lanth.I could see quite a bit of detail on both M3 and M53.(the transparency was such that it was pointless looking at fainter objects). A lot of the stars were properly resolved and were white, not grey. I could also see the the typical 'streaming' of the stars out from the core.

The reducer is also supposed to flatten the field of view and improve the image towards the edges, although I would need a better sky to check this.

For not a lot over £100 (incl SGL discount!) the reducer is good value - you virtually get 2 scopes for the price of one.

I look forward to the darker nights as I think the NS @ F6.3 will give me some great views.

MD

Nice to hear that the NS8 performs well with a focal reducer, I think it will have to be added to the wish list. I don't think the powers that be will release anymore funds after buying the NS8, for a while at least :). Great scope though, now if only Celestron would release a cloud reducer for it :D.

Darren

The longest focal length EP Celestron recommend with the Focal Reducer is 35mm - although this could be a 'wide' EP i.e 65-70 deg.

With the standard supply 40mm plossl (46 deg) it shows a bit of 'coffee beaning' in the centre of the view. At the moment I use my TAL 25mm plossl (50 deg) as my widest eyepiece with the FR, but will probably get a 35mm WA eyepiece at some time in the future.

Celestron recommend their 35mm Ultra EP for use with the FR, and this would give just over 36x mag.

8)

MD

Archived