NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hup hup Holland!

Ags

My back garden is right in middle of a Dutch town, so light pollution is always going to be a problem. But I have a badly designed street light looming over my southern garden fence.

I complained to the gemeente (council) a couple of months ago and nothing happened. I phoned again on Friday and got a call yesterday that they had put a screen on the light... ;-)

I rushed home have a look and there is a screen indeed, but it is very small - it looks like they put a single strip of tape around the half of the light facing my garden... :-( I estimate it cuts the light by maybe 50%.

It's nice they did something so quickly. Full marks for effort. I will see if they are prepared to make the screen a little bigger.

With GPS who needs landing lights anyway? With satnav, who needs street lights? :-)

Tell that to the delivery guy that tried turning around our cose today and took his front lights out on concrete bollard!

However your point is quite valid

If they've only done 1/2 a job, why not call them back and offer to supply the necessary stuff to do the job properly? Whether it's a roll of super thick ductape or an aluminium shield with some holes drilled in a suitable place, they might appreciate the gesture?

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a few weeks of the streetlight screen and I have to say it makes a big difference. The light is still there, and obviously they could screen it more completely, but the light no longer casts a glare over any part of my garden. The weather has been appalling recently so I have not had a proper extended session lately, but I'm very pleased and gave the council a dank-u-wel call.

Archived