Plossls off Ebay

Hello,

My current eyepieces are generic skywatcher ep's that came with my scope. The 25mm and the 10mm both look fine, but when I use the 10mm with the 2x barlow I struggle to get a decent image. I was thinking of buying a 6mm plossl, as at the moment it is the higher magnification that is most lacking in clarity.

I read that there's not much difference between some of the cheaper (but still branded) plossls, such as those by GSO, and those that are more expensive. I'm wondering if, to any degree, the same would apply to unbranded plossls, and whether or not these are still semi decent/ok, or if I'm just wasting my time? Has anyone had any experience with unbranded plossls?

On a side note, I got the telescope yesterday, and so far I have been extraordinarily happy! I'm hooked! First target of course was the moon, then Jupiter, the the nebula in Orion. It's a 114mm Sky-Watcher on an EQ2 mount I got second hand.

Thanks!

Andrew

my mate made the mistake of getting the unbranded no name cheapo ones flea bay ones they as much use as a choco teapot ,to be fair you pay for what you get,its like buy in chicken nuggets ,you can get 50 nuggets for 99 pence and they are processed skin and fat and all the rest or buy 10 nuggets for 2 quid and they all chicken

save up for a good one

How great/bad are the celestron plossls? There are some floating around ebay for around $20-30, and while it would be nice to have a more expensive ep, something cheaper is very attractive! In the "Eyepieces - the very least you need" sticky, I saw a quote "If you get a branded Plossl, you will seldom get a piece of junk", and thought maybe I would be fine with a cheap celestron plossl.

How would that compare to a BST Explorer eyepiece? Because it's branded might it perform alright, or will it still just be so-so as it is in the lower price range?

Archived