NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone in Uttlesford?

Whippy

Watching Look East (BBC's local news programme for the East of England) and there was a report about Uttlesford district council extending their trial run of switching off street lights between midnight and 5am. There was the usual local residents complaining about not 'feeling safe', crime on the increase etc etc..Is there anyone on here from Uttlesford and are you enjoying it? Are there locals sitting up all night on their doorsteps stroking shotguns?

Where I live in Croxley Green (SW Herts), the lights used to go off at 1 am, it was great, dark as it should be...

THe last ten years or so, the lights have been left on for better security etc etc. There is talk of reverting to the "old" system due to the environmental effect (green mainly - rather than dark). Still, a move in the right direction hopefully.

Hugh

Well it is somewhere in Essex :shock:.....

Very near Saffron Walden I think??

My local council proposed this for the whole town a few weeks ago (money saving proposal - prob so they can waste it on something else). As expected - not popular in the Town centre where there are drunkeness/vandalism problems and since they are encouraging people to be out and about at midnight by licencing the pubs 'til then, they can't really switch the lights off. :? :)

Dueling banjo's spring to mind.... :)

Now let's just see you drop them pants...

I'm not going into the usual light pollution rant as I'm sure it's all been said by someone far more eloquent than me. But even just purely from an economic and greener point, more councils should be trying this out. If people saw their council tax bills reduced because the electric bill isn't as high, then it may gain more support. We get the best of both worlds, cheaper bills AND dark skies, it's a win/win! The only problem would be the explosion of idiots (and I'm being polite here) buying those damm 'security lights' :D....

Ah yes, Croxley Green. My first Girlfriend lived there for a while. I was visiting her over one weekend and we went to her local pub (The Bell?) and so we're at the bar and she tells me that Fergal Sharkey drinks in here. I said something along the lines of 'Yeah right' and I turned around and lo and behold, who's standing next to me? She found it amusing anyway.

Well it is somewhere in Essex :shock:.....

Very near Saffron Walden I think??

My local council proposed this for the whole town a few weeks ago (money saving proposal - prob so they can waste it on something else). As expected - not popular in the Town centre where there are drunkeness/vandalism problems and since they are encouraging people to be out and about at midnight by licencing the pubs 'til then, they can't really switch the lights off. :? :)

Now I see why one would want to take shotgun stroking evening classes! Well, during the light evenings anyway! :D

Archived