My First Night

My first milestone is complete, I have used my telescope!

As a complete newcomer to the hobby last night I decided to brave the cold and have a look at my first object, Jupiter. Okay so my telescope isn’t the best in the world, its a 76mm Celestron Powerseeker with an azimuth mount. First thing I noticed was how hard it is to find a planet that I can clearly see in the sky, it doesn’t help that I have no finder on the scope as it was bought second-hand.

After about 15 minutes I found Jupiter. I found it a number of times but lost it again and again with the mount only the slightest movement making it disappear, then I encountered vibrations, enough to put the planet out of the field of view, I put this down to the tripod.

Eventually I found a tiny out of focus Jupiter with 3-4 moons clearly visible as points of light. Not exactly what I was expecting but then again I don’t really know what I was expecting. Focusing was horrible as the slightest touch knocked the scope and i was back to the start. I have just acquired a second hand Powerseeker 114mm scope with an EQ1 mount however I have no idea how to set it up so I am inclined to leave it be.

What has my night of astronomy taught me? I need a more stable scope, I need to read up on astronomy, 2 eyepieces for £9.99 are not necessarily good quality despite what the ad says, a £12 telescope is not necessarily junk. Most of all it has taught me not to give up because I liked what I saw.

Now back to the scope I think I would be better off with a new scope that offers better results, I was thinking the Skywatcher Heritage 130p due to its portability however the grief I had last night with the objects moving out of my field of view has led me to believe I either need an automatic goto scope or something along these lines.

Any suggestions please, budget cannot be any higher than £300.

You don't necessarily need a goto scope. Some people find diffculties with those too.

A good start would be to get some binoculars and start learning some of the constellations.

Binocular portability means you can have a quick 20 or 30 minute session and find quite a lot in that time.

£300 will get you something more than servicable in the scope department. Skywatcher dobsonians seem to be quite highly rated and you could get a 150mm scope for about £200.

Try looking up any local Astronomical societies. It is useful to try one or two scopes out first to get a feel for the different types.

I'm sure there will be plenty of other good advice forthcoming from this forum. Don't be afraid of asking questions.

Been looking at scopes, seem to have 3 options that look like they will fit the bill.

Skywatcher Explorer 130p SynScan @ £289

Skywatcher Supatrak 130p Auto @ £220

Skywatcher Explorer 114p SynScan @ £224

Skywatcher Supatrak 114p Auto @ £220

Skywatcher Explorer 150p @ 279

I'll be honest, from what you've got I doubt you'll be satisfied with anything less than 150mm so look at the Explorer 150P and 150PL.

I'm not too keen on seeing the word "beginner" on things since all astro gear all works the same. As you found a "beginner" mount is a swine to use while a little more expensive one would be much easier. An example being a EQ1 and an EQ5. You still need them aligned and the tracking is the same with the slow motion controls but the EQ5 is much easier to use. Again when you get motorisation in play.

What I'm saying is that if you want something more "serious" don't think that it's more complex or harder to use because it aint, it's the exact same only with less swearing involved.

Another vote for the Explorer, though I would lean to the 150PL as the longer focal mirror requires far less critical collimation and also would not need a coma corrector, the downside is a longer tube, which on the EQ3-2 might not be as stable as the shorter 150P. I'm sure there are forum members with both of the above who will advise you on their stability.

The F8 150PL is a great all rounder and very useful on lunar and planetry.

A few decent plossl's and you'll be amazed in no time!

Hi,

Glad to see your frustration hasn't dampened your enthusiasm.

Don't give up on your EQ1 mount the experience you gain with that will stand you in good stead if you go for a more substantial equatorial mount.

You don't say if you have instructions for setting up and using the mount if not have a look here

Good luck.

HTH.

Having got near to the end of my "Noob Status" (if this ever ends) my recommendation would be, a rock solid equatorial mount, and a reflector telescope, Run Stellarium and use this to identify Constellations and thereby the star names in them and just have fun.

I think the 150PL is undermounted on the EQ3-3 mount. The mounts aluminum tripod legs don't help !. The PL has a long tube which generates more vibrations so it needs an EQ5 to allow steady performance at higher powers. The 150P has a much shorter tube so is fine on the smaller mount.

I'd say an EQ3-2 is sturdy enough to cope with a 150PL bit's sturdiness is a smidge short of not being an issue. I did have a shot of a 150P on one which had a dual axis motor under the Helios Synta branding and that seemed much more solid despite being the same. That said, being motorised I didn't have to touch it as much so less vibration.

The thing is, the flex is in the legs and if it's a 150P version you're after then the Celestron Omni is the exact same but with stronger legs, the same ones as the EQ5, I think.

Change of tack here, christmas is comming and the wallets getting thin I have been thinking hard and decided before i splash out £300 on the 150PL i will introduce myself into astronomy slowly with a set of binos (Pentax 10x50 i have been given) and my s/h Celestron 114 with EQ1. The scope seems in great condition but for £12 of the bay it did not come with any eyepieces, hence my original purchase of 2 for £10.

I am considering buying the Relevation Kit, I know its expensive but it has to be better than what i have now and theoretically I should be able to use it on the 150 when i get it right? In the mean time i will have a selection of lenses and a barlow.

Plus i have just orderd a subscription to the Sky @ Night Magazine and a copy of the backyard astronomer book. As there is no point running before i can walk.

As i making a mistake with the eyepiece kit?

Archived