Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone built or bought an equatorial platform for a Dob?

Any advice where to look? Google finds platforms ranging from horrible to what looks like outright fantastic.

What I couldn't get is the exact requirement for the tracking - number of motors, position of the scope, etc. Thanks in advance.

I did and it's quite straight forward. The measurements don't need to be critical. The only ones that really matter are that your scope will sit on the top board (which is level north to south) and that the radius of the curve is correct for the speed of the motor. I got around this latter point (there is always going to be a little inaccuracy in your build) by using a variable speed control (PWM) for the motor for about £15 off ebay.

One of the best ATM resources anywhere is Stellafane Links Page

there's a whole section on EQPs if you scroll down.

I used this to provide me with the detail needed for my own.

Here's my thread http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/127311-equatorial-platform-dobsonian-telescopes.html and there's links to other threads too from there.

Archived