using dslr camera with telescope

The first item on your shopping list is a t adaptor First Light Optics - T Rings. The second item is a 1.25" t mount camera nosepiece First Light Optics - FLO 1.25-inch T mount camera adapter (hopefully the Optus telescope uses 1.25" eyepieces and not 0.965" eyepieces). You will probably also need a barlow lens to allow the camera to focus. A lot of newtonian telescopes have insufficient inwards focus travel to accommodate a DSLR, the barlow lens increases the focal length of the telescope and also increases the amount of outwards focuser travel required for a DSLR.

Peter

For sharp fotos you'll need a motorized equatorial mount. As the Earth rotates objects seam to move from our perspective. The longer the focal length the more visible this will be.

You can test this by simply placing your DSLR on a tripod and shooting a 30" exposure. Stars won't appear as points, you'll get trails. This actually look nice with a wide lens and you can find some magnificent photos if you google "star trails"..

dv-stars-1-big.jpg

The general rule of thumb for static shots is 600/Focal Lenght = time in seconds, before you can notice the trails. That's for a full frame sensor. If you happen to have a crop sensor you need to divide again by the crop factor of the camera.

I'm afraid that with a 700mm scope you'll be limited to less then 1 second.

received my adaptors this morning (thanks FLO for a really speedy service !) and it looks like i might need something to help the focus.

it is close to being in focus but i just can't get the camera close enough to the 'scope to get there.

would a barlow solve this ?

Archived