Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with Halo's

I've had a quick look and a play at a couple of tutorials.

No matter what I do the images end up significantly worse - I'm doing something wrong somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

The images I have from last night should benefit from culling the halo's by a good margin.

spikey-albums-dso-s-picture14522-m42.jpg

spikey-albums-dso-s-picture14523-ic434-halo.jpg

Before we can help you, we need to know more about your photos. Can you fill us in with the technical details. How long an exposures, how many, what ISO, etc. etc.

Are your optics clean, was it clear, or somewhat cloudy the night you took these?

Jim S.

Orion nebula is a WIP and about 8 x 2 mins ISO800, 3 x darks plus flats, ED80 pro, 0.6xFR, Canon 1000D unmodded + LP filter, guided with PHD and QHY5. Optics look clean to me and althogh some cloud was forming I threw away all the subs that were affected and only stacked the best ones. I was trying to capture the Orion nebula without blowing the trapezium much and have some 20 second subs to composite later.

IC434 - Horse head and flame nebula were 10x5 mins ISO800, 5 x darks plus flats, ED80 pro, 0.6FR, Canon 1000D unmodded + LP filter, guided with PHD and QHY5. This was taken before the Orion nebula and conditions were better.

Archived